bush green beans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Help ! I cannot figure out what is going on . This is the second year I have attempted to grow bush beans.
I planted about 30 seeds in a small area and after about 65 days I started growning these tall weeds everywhere with just a few strands of green beans.This is the second year this has happened ! Am I planting too many seeds in a small area that is causing this ? See attached picture...

Attachments

• IMG_5806.JPG
    IMG_5806.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 198
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Help ! I cannot figure out what is going on . This is the second year I have attempted to grow bush beans.
I planted about 30 seeds in a small area and after about 65 days I started growning these tall weeds everywhere with just a few strands of green beans.This is the second year this has happened ! Am I planting too many seeds in a small area that is causing this ? See attached picture...
Yes. Bush beans should be planted no closer than 4" apart and rows at least 1 ft apart. I don't know what that plant is but planting beans too close together will not cause it to grow there. It will grow there whether there are beans or not. Change location for your beans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you I will definitely change the location next year and plant fewer seeds . Disappointed that I have to wait another year to try it ! Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where do you live? It might be too late to start again from seed but you should be able to buy starter plants from a garden center. I planted my bush bean babies just over a month ago and am just about to start harvesting enough to eat. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Can I say that I definitely think that preparing the ground for sowing seeds helps weed seeds to germinate.
I sow a lot of carrots, parsnips, peas, beans, etc. and I find that that along the furrows are definitely the weediest parts of my allotment.
Since you are trying to make the best possible environment for seeds to germinate, this makes sense.
Even starting your plants in pots or trays doesn't help, as you still cultivate the soil around them.
Only mulching will help suppress weeds.

Ask a Question