Bonsai Newby - would love some help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

I've got a bonsai tree, never had one before. The ceramic pot it came in doesn't have drainage holes, but it is in a plastic pot inside that. I took it out and spread the roots a bit and it looks OK I think.
Will it be OK back in the plastic pot (with drainage holes) and that inside the ceramic pot? Or should I get a proper pot with drainage? I hope that makes sense!

Also I'm hoping someone can tell me what type it is? Any other general tips would be great too!
Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• 20200524_175922.jpg
    20200524_175922.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
Country
United States
Your container is fine as long as you remove the nursery pot when you water, and never allow the plant to set in water. I'm not sure what type plant you have but it looks like you are doing a good job growing it. Maybe a Green Loropetalum. Good job.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your container is fine as long as you remove the nursery pot when you water, and never allow the plant to set in water. I'm not sure what type plant you have but it looks like you are doing a good job growing it. Maybe a Green Loropetalum. Good job.
Thanks so much for your reply, really helpful! I only got the tree yesterday, so I can't take credit for its growth! I believe it is an elm. Do you know if I should prune it now or wait a while for it to settle first?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Prune slow as the plant adjusts to the new environment, pruning is important as the acclimation to the environment. Just go slow and do little at a time. The most important skill needed with any special plant is water management. Don't over or under water, and a good way to do this is to measure the amount of water the plant takes. When you know the amount of water to use, you will not over or under water again. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So here's an update... It went downhill, I took it to the garden centre it was from for some advice a few days ago, they said it likely dried out during lockdown, that mixed with the change of environment essentially was killing it :( I gave back to them, really hoping they try to salvage it rather than chucking! It's a shame, being a general garden centre they couldn't really offer me any advice.

Anyway, I went to a proper bonsai nursery after, got this chinese elm and received good advice on how to look after it, and a guarantee that I can call/drop in if there's any issues, and take it in if it needs pruning or repotting, which won't be for a long while I know.

Looking much healthier and happier and generally just much better looked after! Had for two days now and doing well. Not sure if this spot is going to get too hot for it - south facing garden with this week's temperatures going up to 25 c. Any thoughts would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_135715_093.jpg
    IMG_20200527_135715_093.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200528_103008.jpg
    20200528_103008.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Prune slow as the plant adjusts to the new environment, pruning is important as the acclimation to the environment. Just go slow and do little at a time. The most important skill needed with any special plant is water management. Don't over or under water, and a good way to do this is to measure the amount of water the plant takes. When you know the amount of water to use, you will not over or under water again. Good luck and keep us posted.
Great watering advice - thankyou!

Ask a Question