Bonsai Wound Sealant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What types of wound sealant are used on Bonsai? I have seen the prepackage versions, and some say they use a wood glue, and I have read some use a duct sealant even thinned with neem oil. Its new to me. Advice? As usual I have a motive, that being a japanese maple that needs some severe pruning due to some branch losses. Its 8 or 9 feet tall, located in the yard. I thought it would be fun to prune rather than remove the tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here in Texas zero sealant is used on any pruned part of any tree EXCEPT some varieties of oak trees. Sealant is used on oaks to prevent oak wilt disease which is caused by an insect doing something to the wound. I know nothing about bonsai but I can't imagine sealing anything except possibly the roots. Just regular latex paint is used as a sealant but if you like to pay more you can purchase tree wound sealant. On all trees, except oaks, you want the wound to scab over naturally. Perhaps one of the bonsai experts on this forum will help me get my head wrapped around this sealing of wounds on bonsai trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am thinking it has something to do with the natural rather than scarred appearance. There is a bunch of nipping and rounding of the trunk.

Ask a Question