Blueberry Seed Freeze

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought some blueberry seeds in a “Sow and Grow” seed starter kit. I thought I could just plant them and grow some blueberries, but the instructions say to leave the seeds in a damp paper towel in the freezer for 90 days! I don’t want to just plant them in case I really do need to freeze them, but then again that’s three months wasted in the freezer! Any tips on other ways I can plant them? Or is freezing them the only way?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recently bought some blueberry seeds in a “Sow and Grow” seed starter kit. I thought I could just plant them and grow some blueberries, but the instructions say to leave the seeds in a damp paper towel in the freezer for 90 days! I don’t want to just plant them in case I really do need to freeze them, but then again that’s three months wasted in the freezer! Any tips on other ways I can plant them? Or is freezing them the only way?
You need to freeze or at a minimum refrigerate them for at least 90 days. This is called scarification. Also, you must live in a climate with the correct number of chilling hours for that variety of seed. In addition, your soil's Ph must be between 4.5 and 5.5.

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
You need to freeze or at a minimum refrigerate them for at least 90 days. This is called scarification. Also, you must live in a climate with the correct number of chilling hours for that variety of seed. In addition, your soil's Ph must be between 4.5 and 5.5.
Hi
thank you for answering my friend its usefull i live in cold climate and i can make soil ph that. anyway i need to know is freezing blueberry seed when i soaking them for 24 hour harmfull for them or no? i mean freez them in damp paper towel in -5 centigrade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi
thank you for answering my friend its usefull i live in cold climate and i can make soil ph that. anyway i need to know is freezing blueberry seed when i soaking them for 24 hour harmfull for them or no? i mean freez them in damp paper towel in -5 centigrade
I wouldn't soak the seeds. Put then in something damp like a paper towel and freeze them at a light freeze temperature.

Reaction score
Country
Soaking the seeds means that the seeds will absorb water and a seed that has absorbed water will split when frozen. You soak the seeds directly before you plant them.
i hope that not happening :(( i must w 3 month and then see the result its very bad

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Some seed requires a cold period to germinate. Most of the milkweed seeds require 2-3 months of near freezing temps or planted right before a snow. It mimics the growing condition of the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Why not just buy some blueberry plants? If they grew easily from seed, I would have millions of young plants. I have 7 bushes, thousands of berries end up on the ground every year. Never had a new plant come up from seed.

Reaction score
Country
Some seed requires a cold period to germinate. Most of the milkweed seeds require 2-3 months of near freezing temps or planted right before a snow. It mimics the growing condition of the plant.
Hi
i know that but in the some site they wrote must soak the seed before stratification seedkeep is cold for 2-3 month after that i ask who bought the seed from him he said keep them in freezer and in some site said must keep the fruit in freezer befor extract seed for 3 month then extract and plant them , so i did that know im aware of what if soaked seed dead in freezer because of water in seed freez and split seed,
what do you think i must do?

Reaction score
Country
Could take cuttings, I'm going to try airlayering this year, if you want to find out more go on YouTube.
Hi
dude you really live in hardiness zone 1? nice!
where i live there isnt bluberry bush we leave in cold climate like 5a but no one know what is blueberry they just plant peach and apple and almond tree we just hear about blueberry in television , i recieved some blueberry seed from one of my friend then i try to plant them but if you read this post you understand how much problem i have about this and dont know what to do now.

Ask a Question