Blueberry lots of blooms little leaf out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This info states for 6 year old plants and older get that much fertilizer per plant which I figured up is about 0.048 lbs of actual Nitrogen per plant in the spring and then repeated again after harvest.

Is this the stuff you used, 4% N?

0.04 / 0.048 = 0.83 lbs of that fertilizer sprinkled around each plant. Don't know the volume because I don't know what the bulk density is of that product but if you can weigh 3 cups of it and tell me what that weighs, I can figure it up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As far as what the soil test is trying to tell you what to do, it is recommending 1 of 2 things based on what you want to use, organic or inorganic fertilizers.

Untitled.jpg

You chose to go the organic route but that type of fertilizer you used is not described on how much to use of it. I think that is what is throwing you off. It is saying to add 2.5 lbs of 12-0-0 (which should be blood meal) and 2.5 lbs of 0-0-22 (which I'm guessing is Langbeinite) per 100 ft2. Since you didn't use the fertilizers they recommended, you have to recalculate how much to add to add the proper amount of nutrients.

So let me start over with this question: If you already added the Espoma Azalea Tone around the blueberries. Weigh what you think you put on each plant in that 10 square feet area that you described and I can tell you what you added to the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As far as what the soil test is trying to tell you what to do, it is recommending 1 of 2 things based on what you want to use, organic or inorganic fertilizers.

View attachment 89682

You chose to go the organic route but that type of fertilizer you used is not described on how much to use of it. I think that is what is throwing you off. It is saying to add 2.5 lbs of 12-0-0 (which should be blood meal) and 2.5 lbs of 0-0-22 (which I'm guessing is Langbeinite) per 100 ft2. Since you didn't use the fertilizers they recommended, you have to recalculate how much to add to add the proper amount of nutrients.

So let me start over with this question: If you already added the Espoma Azalea Tone around the blueberries. Weigh what you think you put on each plant in that 10 square feet area that you described and I can tell you what you added to the soil.
On the bag it says 3 cups is aprox 1 pound.
I was not understanding the test results recomendations which seemed very high by my calculations BUT I was using a method for lawn fertilizer , which still works out WHEN I know the correct way/numbers/info
It just was not registering in my head that the 2.5lbs was total product weight at 12-0-0 ratio

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you put down 3 cups or 1 lb in a 10 square foot area around the plant, then add this to the soil test:

+ 87 ppm N
+ 66 ppm P
+ 87 ppm K
+ 109 ppm Ca
+ 22 ppm Mg
+ 109 ppm S

A little bit heavy on the fertilizer but luckly most of it is organic so it takes some time to break down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For the Boron, the poultry manure in that product should have trace amounts so I don't think I would do anything to adjust that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think your blueberry bushes would have leafed out by now. Maybe you have a wierd variety? Mine already have immature berries on them.

If you are watering them with city water, you may be adding carbonates to the ground which will cause the pH to rise in due time. Not really ideal in blueberry soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would think your blueberry bushes would have leafed out by now. Maybe you have a wierd variety? Mine already have immature berries on them.

If you are watering them with city water, you may be adding carbonates to the ground which will cause the pH to rise in due time. Not really ideal in blueberry soil.
They have been through a lot with past years with poor soil. Not sure whats going on so Im just going to water as needed.
Yes Im running tap water. I will take another soil near end of summer and see if anything has changed.
Maybe these bushes have just stressed out over the past few years.
The color is a bit off on 2 of them?
I still have alot of flowers/bells?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. That 2nd and 3rd pick they look awesome.
The first pic , that plant had always been a bit “dwarfed” and that color.
It has far more fruit buds than the other 2.
Just going to keep it watered and see.
Garden was not well taken care of the last few years and had some issues that finally came full front. I will post in another 4 weeks. Time to start the construction on the covers to keep the birds out BAP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just a up date, bushes really came along end of may into june and are just now giving some tasty fruit. The birds and I are fighting over them.

Attachments

• 5BE12801-1544-4A38-9A72-15E18180DDFC.jpeg
    5BE12801-1544-4A38-9A72-15E18180DDFC.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We use a cup of aluminum sulphate per plant well ahead of flowering as it drops the pH. After the fruit drops is a great time to fertilize, then lightly in the early spring. Our soil is 5-5.5pH. Your pH needs to be lower. There is more naturally available P around 4.5 or 6.5pH. Find some K, it is always important.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We use a cup of aluminum sulphate per plant well ahead of flowering as it drops the pH. After the fruit drops is a great time to fertilize, then lightly in the early spring. Our soil is 5-5.5pH. Your pH needs to be lower. There is more naturally available P around 4.5 or 6.5pH. Find some K, it is always important.
Thank you , soil sample is going out soon. It was into the 6s before and down to 5.2 per last test.
I have it on my calendar to feed them today. Picking more fruit today. They are coming fast.

Ask a Question