Blueberry Bush has all red and dried out leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Recently got a "Pink Icing" blueberry bush from amazon, and after a week I repotted it as the roots seemed to be choking in the pot (mix of peat moss and potting soil, around 70-30). The leaves of the plant were reddish green at the time and were gradually turning/trending red, but I wasn't sure if there was an issue because that particular variety was known for its pinkish leaves.

Fast forward to 2-3 weeks later after the repot and now all the leaves seem to be red and dried out/dead, and I'm not entirely sure if it is alive anymore. Some of the stems are still springy, but they only possess a hint of green. I can still pull the plant out relatively easily so the roots don't seem to have grown much. Is all hope lost for it? Or can I nurse it back? There doesn't seem to be any functional leaves on it at the moment (they haven't fallen off though).

Attachments

• blueberry1.jpg
    blueberry1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 118
  • blueberry2.jpg
    blueberry2.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 141
  • blueberry3.jpg
    blueberry3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 140
  • blueberry4.jpg
    blueberry4.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 146
  • blueberry5.jpg
    blueberry5.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 176
  • blueberry6.jpg
    blueberry6.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 136
  • blueberry7spriggy.jpg
    blueberry7spriggy.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 136
Reaction score
Country
United States
Blue Berries need a very acidic soil to allow phosphorus to become available. A pH of 4.5 to 5.5 is mandatory for the nutrients to dissolve enough that the plants can use them. The red leaves are a indication the the pH is too high and not allowing phosphorus uptake. I good potting mix for Blueberries is a 50/50 mix of peat moss with shredded pine bark, fortified with a handful of time release fertilizer. Its good to pre-mix the mix and allow it to set for a couple of weeks before planting in it. That will give the (CEC) Cation Exchange Capacity time to work.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with @oneeye but i would have to buy a ericeacous compost and that's what i use because i can't get pine bark here. It will take time for the roots to grow outwards.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with @oneeye but i would have to buy a ericeacous compost and that's what i use because i can't get pine bark here. It will take time for the roots to grow outwards.

If the plant doesn't seem to have any live leaves (all red and dried out), and the stem seems to be almost all woody, do you think it is a lost cause? I don't know if it's a good idea to check on the roots but from what I see on the outside they don't seem to have spread at all from the initial purchase.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
If the plant doesn't seem to have any live leaves (all red and dried out), and the stem seems to be almost all woody, do you think it is a lost cause? I don't know if it's a good idea to check on the roots but from what I see on the outside they don't seem to have spread at all from the initial purchase.
Scrape some of the bark and see if there's any green underneath, try that on all of the stems and close to the soil,if there's nothing then it's dead.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Scrape some of the bark and see if there's any green underneath, try that on all of the stems and close to the soil,if there's nothing then it's dead.

I did a little bit of scratching off with my nail, and it seems like there are a few pockets of bark that have green underneath. If that's beneath rather woody, but bendable, stems, should I still trim it down to the green or just leave it be and hope?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I did a little bit of scratching off with my nail, and it seems like there are a few pockets of bark that have green underneath. If that's beneath rather woody, but bendable, stems, should I still trim it down to the green or just leave it be and hope?
I would leave it and see what happens.

Ask a Question