Black bugs IDHelp

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have recently had an infestation of a small black bug. They completely decimated some pea plants in one day.

They’ve moved onto the cabbage now.

Any help identifying them would be appreciated.

I’m a newbie here.
5045631A-B3FF-40D8-A8BD-53BE45B1B5A9.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like a fairly severe case of aphids. You can kill them with alcohol or soapy water but I prefer to use an organic pesticide with spinosad as its active ingredient because of its residual effect. And if you have aphids cabbage loopers are not far behind and spinosad takes care of them too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
After looking at them again they might also be flea beetles. Spinosad works on them too.

RMR

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my gosh, I have the same problem! I was specifically looking for answers on these bugs and what to do about them. So glad for the advice from the more savvy gardeners out there!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Crucifer Flea Beetles (Phyllotreta cruciferae and other related species) are small black Flea Beetles (Alticini, Chrysomelidae) known to feed on many members of the Crucifer Family (Brassicaceae), including cultivated species of Brassica, such as Cabbage, Broccoli, Kale, Turnips, etc.

Ask a Question