Best way to get rid of red mites?

Reaction score
It seems red mites are becoming a really common issue for me, so I'd really like to learn a way to deal with them organically. I like the organic approach because I feel safer that way, and because those red pests seem to prefer going after the herbs I use for cooking and making teas! So I'm not looking for something I can buy from a store and can possibly contaminate my herbs. If you know a very effective natural remedy, please let me know.

Also... is there a way to prevent them from appearing all over my herbs?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You could try Neem oil, I think there's something made from Cinnamon too.

Reaction score
I've worked in retail at a gardening shop for a long time now and I've had customers come through over and over dealing with red mites. We've had hundreds of products, organic and inorganic, that promised the world. Some of them did do what they promised but most didn't. For the organic grower I would look into getting an oil based treatment plan: neem oil is one of our most popular sellers and happens to work really well. You have to be thorough in wetting your plants with the oil and you have to keep up on your spraying regiment. Mites are persistent little guys and require a lot of elbow grease to be dealt with.

Reaction score
Wow, Jason... You sound like such an expert and you are so lucky for having worked at a gardening shop!!! I might get a work at a plants market next year! I just love working with plants! I bet you learnt so much about gardening at that store! I'll try the Neem oil approach :) Those red mites are so persistent and seem to multiply so fast!

Ask a Question