Best Technique to Plant Bare Root Sedum

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Recently planted some bare rooted sedum, and followed the suggested grower directions of first hydrating the bare root cuttings in a bowl of water for about 30 minutes, and then planting them in.

Not sure if hydrating the bare root cuttings was/is really necessary, prior to planting them in - sedum is extremely drought tolerant.

What technique(s) has been most successful for those of you who have planted bare root sedum?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just stick them in the ground. that plant i so very easy. I believe someone asked about them already with that subject in mind. I prune mine in July, toss most in the burn pile, husband grabs up a few and just puts them in a pot of soil, and they live,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Just stick them in the ground. that plant i so very easy. I believe someone asked about them already with that subject in mind. I prune mine in July, toss most in the burn pile, husband grabs up a few and just puts them in a pot of soil, and they live,
Sounds like I may be doing a bit more than necessary. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
BTW, I have ten pots of them all happy coming along, made it through the winter ---outside---- in the pots that husband had just shoved them in soil from my July cuttings. and put them to the side. Frankly I don't need anymore, he needed to just leave them on the burn pile. That is our technique, LOL.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
BTW, I have ten pots of them all happy coming along, made it through the winter ---outside---- in the pots that husband had just shoved them in soil from my July cuttings. and put them to the side. Frankly I don't need anymore, he needed to just leave them on the burn pile. That is our technique, LOL.
That's great to hear. The ones I planted a few days ago appear to be taking root already - I expect them to be fast spreaders. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The older ones I have, that are in ground, are a really good size, they been there about 10 years, anyway, about July first I severely cut them in half so they don't flop in the fall when they bloom. Just FYI.

Ask a Question