Best cucumber plants for polytunnel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to decide on the best cucumber plant to get for my polytunnel. Before I had use the Telegraph, and while the cucumbers were lovely, the fact you have to pick all the male flowers off was painful. That was hard enough having them in the garden, but up at the allotment will become a major headache is I need to go up there 3 times a day to pick the male heads off.

I like the smooth cucumbers (not the nobbly ones with thick skin).

Any suggestions? :) (I'm in the south of England, is thats any relevance)

Thanks!

Andy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just make sure you get gynoecious or parthenocarpic seeds or plants or a combination of the two. The gynoecious varieties need pollinators and are female only flowers.. The parthenocarpic varieties are probably your best bet as they do not require pollinators. It all depend on if there are insect pollinators inside your tunnel as to which is best for you. And you do not need to remove all of the male flowers from the parthenocarpic varieties, only the first few of the season and even this is not a requirement.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
You want a cultivar of Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) that is gynoecious, parthenocarpic, and smooth skinned.

Consider the cultivars: 'Diva' 'Sweet Success' and 'Tyria'.

Pollination and seeds may still occur if there are other cucumbers grown in the vicinity, but your use of a polytunnel will reduce, though not eliminate pollinators. Also, gynoecious cucumbers may occasionally produce male flowers, but the chance and frequency of this occurrence will be much less.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks both :) I wasn't aware there were 2 types! I've just ordered some Diva seeds. Will see how they go :)

I don't mind checking for male flowers every so often. What annoyed me with the Telegraph, was that I would go out at 7am before work and pinch the male flowers off. Then again at lunch. And again in the evening. Just seemed like a never ending job lol

There will be pollinators in the tunnel as I'm going to be growing some tom plants as well. After the shocking weather last year with all the rain, I decided I would get a tunnel this year so I could control the watering a bit more ;)

Ask a Question