Best gardening books

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best gardening books? Any you couldn't manage without? I have to say, when I really need specific information quickly I do tend to go straight for the internet as it's immediate (assuming I can actually find what I want!), but for learning and general enjoyment I much prefer books. I like Carol Klein's books generally, and have a couple of RHS ones which are very informative. There are so many to chose from though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Hi JoJo,

Great topic, with lots of different paths to go down in regards to the various types of gardening people enjoy.

I just recently picked up the book "Yards: Turn Any Outdoor Space into the Garden of Your Dreams" by Billy Goodnick, it's fun, informative read, that can help anyone create the garden of his or her dreams.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The one that I always find myself referring to is Perfect Plant Perfect Place by Roy Lancaster - as someone who doesn't know a great deal about plants I find it so useful! It has various different categories depending on where you want the plant to go, such as the amount of light, the soil type, whether it is exposed or sheltered, etc. For example, if I was looking for a shrub to go in a shady corner of the garden with evergreen leaves, then you go to Shrubs > Shady > Evergreen and look at the suggestions. It is so handy!

Once I've found a plant that I like the look of in that book, then I sometimes refer to other books to get more information.

Reaction score
When I did a basic college course in horticulture I was surprised at first to find the Dr Hessayon series was standard text.
They are good though, inexpensive, well planned & easy to find what you need quickly - & you can take them down the garden & it doesn't matter if you get them a bit muddy & scruffy! Good luck with your garden project.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I am starting a little library of home and garden books, and I am getting them all for free, using Amazon kindle ebooks. Amazon has books on any subject that they list free for about a day, and then a different book is on for free. I use it with my iPad, and the kindle app. You need an amazon account, and go to kindle books, and type in gardening, and search by price, low to high. You will get the free books first, then the dollar ones, and so on. They change very day, so it is good to check back often. You can get some really great tutorials this way, on about any subject that you want to learn about.

Ask a Question