Gardening is the Best Therapy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm sorry for my long absence from this forum. Spring is fully underway here in the Pacific Northwest, and everything is blooming, but for weeks I've been inside the house, caring for the dearest person in the world. She's been my family for over fifty years, and everything in my existence revolves around her; we often call ourselves Frodo and Sam as our friendship is so strong and we have withstood so much together. Needless to say, her illness was a terrifying and disorienting experience for me, and the weapons of the doctors were like something out of science fiction; but thanks to them, she is finally back on her feet and enjoying the sun, and for now at least, I am happy again in my garden.

Today I took my working chair and digging knife and sat right down in the middle of it all, just glad to get outside. I discovered the slugs had gotten to my spinach rows, and some feral morning glories had decided to invade the peas. None of this really mattered to me right then, not even the morning glories, but it was so refreshing to just start weeding again! Plants went every which way, and I grubbed out all the creepers that were coming up through the mulch.

After clearing out the detritus, I planted a good long row of Early Wonder beets. These are a utilitarian type, not as sweet tasting as my favorite, Cylindra, but they are very hardy, fast-growing, and the greens are delicious.

Out there with the sun and clouds, I could feel my distress just melting away, and the tension that had me in knots leaving me bit by bit. Gardening, of course, is a way of believing that the future will be green. I'm glad to have learned this much, not only from my garden but from my precious companion, who beating all odds is somehow still with me to enjoy this beautiful spring.

May the peas grow tall and the beets grow fast :)

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I am so happy your companion is well enough to share the beauty of spring with you.

Its always good to be back to a treasured hobby. There is nothing as sweet and peaceful as nature itself.

Reaction score
Just reading your post made me feel so relaxed already and I'm sitting in my office in a high-stress environment. LOL. Gardening is very therapeautic for me as well. Just working on my tomatoes and orchids makes me feel loads lighter. Glad to know you're in a very zen state. You're pretty lucky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Ah, weeding for me is therapeutic too. Something about that satisfaction of digging things out, and seeing instant results is just calming for me. Plus, I think just being outdoors, among nature is nice too. Relaxing. And if it's good weather to garden that usually means the sun is shining or it's at least not pouring rain, which is another thing that I find impacts my mood!

Ask a Question