Best Food for your Compost Bin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Slow breakdown is part of tilth though, and not a bad thing if the mulch is not all one type. I use a chipper on my fallen and pruned branches and even the wood chips I use as lawn mulch disappear over the course of a year. But it has to do with water and heat too, as we hit 100f -50c and have anywhere from 40 to 50 or more inches of rain a year. I have become aware of the fact that composting here is not only not really necessary, its actually a bad thing, since the whole process could be occurring where you will eventually put the compost anyway. Organic matter is the key, compost being a latter stage that has wasted some time and energy and nutrient in its making.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't think the juglone occurs in the wood of the black walnut tree. Though it does come in the leaves, bark, and fruit/nuts. I am prepared to be wrong about this.
You're probably right, I thought I heard that it was also in the wood and you should not use it as a mulch, but if I did hear it, I wouldn't doubt that it's a MYTH.

I've also heard that you shouldn't use pine wood, because of the acidity, but my experience with pine is that it breaks down very nicely and I've even found worms tunneling thru it when it gets really soft from decomposition.

Ask a Question