belladonna amaryllis

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm having trouble trying to find information about when to cut amaryllis. Once the flowers at the top of the stock have bloomed do I cut just the single flowers off even if they're all dead and leave the stalk intact, or do I cut the entire stock back to only a few inches above the bulb? then from there do I continue to water and fertilize the soil until summer and then it goes dormant in a dark cool place?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My understanding with bulbs is that you cut the flower stalk back so the energy goes to the bulb. Each bulbing plant is different, but if I were you, I'd wait for any leaves to die off and then store the bulbs. After you take them out/they sprout, then start feeding them again. There's no need to feed them in dormancy.

Reaction score
I'm having trouble trying to find information about when to cut amaryllis. Once the flowers at the top of the stock have bloomed do I cut just the single flowers off even if they're all dead and leave the stalk intact, or do I cut the entire stock back to only a few inches above the bulb? then from there do I continue to water and fertilize the soil until summer and then it goes dormant in a dark cool place?

Unless you are wanting to collect the seeds - yes it is normal to remove the spent flower stem just above the base of the bulb and then so long as the foliage remains green - maintain it by keeping it slightly moist and providing plenty of light - with the occasional feed - until the foliage starts to turn yellow which is a sign that it is going into dormancy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok so I cut the stem just above the bold and it looks like this new segment is sprouting out of the bulb. So that's normal? is this what is meant by the foliage regrowth? When these leaves that are sprouting out of the bulb start to turn yellow that's when it goes into dormancy? I guess everything I read kind of confused me because the way they made it sound was once the stem grew and flowers bloomed that it would immediately go into dormancy after. That it only produces stems with flowers that last a few weeks once.

Reaction score
Country
United States
picture of it currently

Attachments

• 1421779258923-2000985378.jpg
    1421779258923-2000985378.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 415
Reaction score
ok so I cut the stem just above the bold and it looks like this new segment is sprouting out of the bulb. So that's normal? is this what is meant by the foliage regrowth? When these leaves that are sprouting out of the bulb start to turn yellow that's when it goes into dormancy? I guess everything I read kind of confused me because the way they made it sound was once the stem grew and flowers bloomed that it would immediately go into dormancy after. That it only produces stems with flowers that last a few weeks once.

As the foliage growth comes after flowering - it is normal and yes when the foliage starts to yellow - which very probably won't be - depending on your climate - for a month or so - that is the sign that your plant is going dormant.

And yes you are correct - Belladona Amaryllis do only produce flower stems once - whereas Hippeastrum Amaryllis can and do very often produce further blooms - provided the spent stem is cut down.

Ask a Question