amaryllis question!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it okay for me to start a bulb indoors now? I live in an apartment, so container gardening will have to do for now. If I start it indoors, will the bulb have a normal cycle indoors? Meaning after it flowers, I should keep watering and it will eventually show signs of dormancy indoors? I read alot where people get these as gifts near Christmas, then they keep it alive until spring where they place the bulb outside and so on. I was just wondering if it was okay to start now inside. The bulb is labeled: Crinum X Ellen Bosanquet. Thanks in advance and im sorry if this is a silly question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Bulbs started indoors don't go through the same cycles as those outdoors. That said, the fate of anything indoors depends on light, water, temperature, and humidity. Dormancy occurs because of the plant being either too hot or too cold to bloom so you'll have to sort that out by figuring where and how to store the plant until you're ready to take it outdoors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Its all with feeding after it has flowered and cut the seed pod off near the top , to build the bulb back up again.
Normally here in the UK , I keep it watered and fed during the summer months and then end of September I stop watering it and turn the pot on its side , wait for all the foliage to die off and then clean the bulb normally takes a couple of weeks and bits of green foliage left on just trim off.

I then pop it in the fridge for 4 to 6 weeks to help speed up the dormancy period (give it a rest) .

Then I repot in fresh compost and just water the once (don't over water the bulb may rot) and then keep in the warm on the kitchen top .

Hope this helps

Max

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bulbs started indoors don't go through the same cycles as those outdoors. That said, the fate of anything indoors depends on light, water, temperature, and humidity. Dormancy occurs because of the plant being either too hot or too cold to bloom so you'll have to sort that out by figuring where and how to store the plant until you're ready to take it outdoors.
Thank you for the reply. With me starting them inside now, they wont be able to go outside for several months due to winter arriving. I'm going to try and grow the bulb completely indoors. I have some artificial lighting that I will be using as well. If everything goes well, will it go into dormancy naturally? I heard the green strappy leafs will start to yellow when this is happening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply. With me starting them inside now, they wont be able to go outside for several months due to winter arriving. I'm going to try and grow the bulb completely indoors. I have some artificial lighting that I will be using as well. If everything goes well, will it go into dormancy naturally? I heard the green strappy leafs will start to yellow when this is happening.

Part of the dormancy comes in with natural temperature changes in nature. As soon as the flowers fade you can cut the stalk. You want all the energy going to the bulb. The treatment above described by @JuneBug might give you the chance to fool the lily into blooming again indoors. You may want to read up on forced blooming. That's how the growers get them shelf ready for the holidays.

Ask a Question