Begonia Maculata: it was $.99 , I couldnt resist at the least ATTEMPTING a rescue!. Can it even be saved!??

Reaction score
Country
United States
At Walmart - of all places…NOT a place I normally grab plants! But this one (apparently mislabeled: was supposed to be sale for $9.50 , originally $18.99- and I would not have spent that!) only $.99!!! I wish I had a picture of the day I got it (2 days ago), Because Believe it or not, it was worse!! It was covered in white mildew and the leaves were crunchy & it was completely bone dry… with a little water (from the bottom) and I sprayed with a mix of 1/4 cup Castile soaps , 2/3 cup alcohol and 1/2 Tbsp hydrogen peroxide diluted in a gal of water sprayer… I will need to treat again &/or maybe with a stronger fungicide (I have copper based & chlotothalonil) ?? I want to note there is 1 lone leaf that is pristine(-ish)… should I cut all but that 1 leaf??? So what’s the verdict…Is this a battle I can win??? Or should I not even waste my time & energy?? It’s such a beautiful species or Begonia, I hate to see it like this! the leaves do have some life in them [now] & the brown parts are still crunchy… which I suppose is better than it being mushy….
**Don’t worry I do keep this plant FAR away from all my other plants and wash my hands after contact. I only brought it inside to take pictures …

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Country
United States
Give it good care and it should recover very well. It wants bright indirect light, regular water, partly dry before watering again, good drainage, and occasional application of a complete fertilizer. It can be grown as a house plant, but it will also do well outdoors in coastal, low-elevation southern California.

Ask a Question