Beginner gardener with no discernable green thumb

Reaction score
I had a few plants before, but they died. They were inside some and outside some, but basically I just fed them and tried to make sure they got water and light. I fed them with egg shells and water. I am realizing now that every plant is different and maybe I should have done research on each type of plant I had. With only three, like I had, that would have been smart. However, to me that sounds very complicated if you want to have a lot of plants like I want now. Is it as complicated as it seems. I want to have some healthy herbs, fruits and veggies. Can you guys give me any tips to simplify gardening?

Reaction score
Herbs are easy to grow either in pots or outside in the ground, you just plant them, give them sunlight and keep them watered, don't allow them to dry out in the pots. I have had success with some veggies in pots but I put most of mine in the garden beds I have, once again just keep them watered and the pests off them and they will do fine. Depending on the veggies you have some pests can be a real PITA to deal with, I get slugs rather easily and they can really decimate my garden if left alone. I only have two fruit bushes lemon and key lime bush.

I don't think it is overly complicated and you don't have to make it so.

Reaction score
This is why I'm starting very slowly and simply. I'll be testing one vegetable at a time so I can focus on getting it right. Then, I can do more. I also want to do indoor growing so I can experiment and learn throughout the year. Around this time next year is when I believe I'll be knowledgeable enough to really go for it.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gardening is fun and can at time be a what am I doing wrong situation. It is easy just put some plants in the ground and water them. The hard part is not too much water , not enough water, planted where the plant get enough sun light is also something people forget to take into consideration when planting.

In my back yard we have 5 very large trees that make it very hard to get enough sun in some of the areas I would love to plant in. Insects eating your plants is also a big challenge when gardening. But the joy of watching your plants grow and become show stoppers is very rewarding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the exact reason that I'm starting out simple, as much as I want to jump right into an elaborate garden and have tons of different things growing, I think it can be a bit complicated and a lot to keep track of/remember at first, so I want to start slow and gradually expand my gardening skills, I think I'l have better success that way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Do it one plant at a time. If you do a bunch at once you can get confused. Try herbs first, they are the easiest and they are pretty hardy. There are places that tell you about how to care each type of herb. You will see that it is fairly simple. Once you get that down then you can work on another set of plants. It may take a little time, but you can do it in half a season without having to rush. Good luck!

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Candy,

Try to start off and learn some of the basics. First, you don’t “feed” a plant with water; plants make their own food from the sun. Learn about the plants you are getting, what their needs are. Learn how to gauge when they need water so you are not over-watering your plants. Start off simple, get one or two plants, learn about their requirements and get in tune with what makes them happy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can do it; just try and try again! I used to believe that I don't have green thumb but it didn't stop me. I just keep growing, and then some plants decided staying around for me. So now, if one dies, I get another and even experiment with growing from seeds :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Keep trying and please don't give up! I would've told you not to take on too many different types of plants in the beginning, but since you've already taken the plunge, stick to the ones you have now and don't add anything new. Get to know these plants for at least two gardening seasons before you move onto another plant. Gardening isn't very complicated...have fun and remember those"failures" are learning experiences, so don't give up!

Ask a Question