Beginner Gardener

Reaction score
What are the most important things to consider in growing plants for a beginner gardener?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I’m a beginner. Don’t know much about plants except that they are to be respected and they are very pretty. My mom has a garden full of tropical plants. She told me cactus are good for beginners because they don’t require much time and attention, I think they are good for those who have a busy schedule or travellers too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What are the most important things to consider in growing plants for a beginner gardener?
I think one of the most important things for a beginner is for him/her have a knowledge of how plants grow, what they need. Just planting a seed in the ground does not make one a gardener. A real gardener understands the relationship between the soil, the climate and the characteristics of whatever it is you want to plant

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Plant only what you like to look at (flowers) and eat (vegetables.)
Start small and expand. Most novice gardeners quit because they start out big, and so do the weeds, bugs, and problems!
Get your soil tested. No need to add fertilizers or amendments until you know what is needed.
Enjoy your garden--there will be failures and set-backs, but there will also be great successes and happiness from knowing you can grow a garden!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm watching this thread because I'm quite new as well and always eager for some tips :). So far I've gotten a lot of advice to start off small, with low maintenance plants and then work on expanding what you are comfortable working with....sounds like fair advice to me.

Reaction score
Take care of the soil. Make sure you get good compost and mulch to build it up naturally. Take the time to work the soil so it is not too hard for the roots of your plants to grow into it.

Reaction score
Yes, I read a good piece of advice above: grow what YOU like, not what someone else tells you is great or what you think you "should" grow. Its always great to get recommendations, but in the end there is no greater joy than growing something that you are really excited about. Another piece of advice that I would give is to grow organic. Its more challenging but more rewarding! Start with organic seeds (which means that the farms that raised the seeds are organic too), hand weed your garden beds and learn about organic ways to keep weeds down like simply laying out pieces of cardboard in your garden, talk to other organic gardeners and get neat tips about how to use our resources to the best of their ability without the need for pesticides and chemicals. Start a compost heap or drum. If you truly like gardening, organic gardening will bring you the most enjoyment. I have found a good source of organic vegetable seeds, its at www.edenbrothers.com. I think thats a good place to start IF you are interested in growing organic veggies. But like I began with, grow what you want to grow! :)

Reaction score
I am not a beginner but I think that there are many great videos and articles on the web that will help the beginner. One of the first things I learned about gardening was how to prepare the soil. The second thing I learned was that the seeds should not be too close to one another. Then I learned how to control pest that eat up the crop. Lastly, I really did not realize that once a crop has grown a person has to know when to pick and when not to pick. I mean I left some squash on the vine until they were too big and hard to eat. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I know, the plant bed should be cleaned and plowed (if needed) and reconditioned. Cleaning is taking off all weeds and stones. Reconditioning is adding soil conditioners like dried peat moss or coco coir. If you have rice husk, that's good for a soil conditioner. Next is to know what you would plant. You cannot plant a tree in a small space. Some plants don't like too much sunshine like the lettuce and some plants love sunshine like the lemon. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started with a small area by planted things that I like such as cucumber, tomato and green beans! When I saw that the soil is taken quite well with these vegetables, I added sweet pepper plant, basil, and cilantro. I don't consider myself a gardener, but I just love watching things grow by my own hands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My oldest flower garden is 26 years old, I have 100,000 bulbs on my property. you may see my gardens on Estherredstar channel
So with all that said. If I were to look back to the beginning, with my first flower bed, I would make sure the soil is good first (that is the number one thing) The foundation where the plant grows is important. It will save you money and time.
Number two, find out what your zone is and what plants are native to that area. Only plant flowers that are in your zone and native to your area, again saves you time and you will have success. If your drifting to a type of plant look it up find out all about it. Example, there are over 300 types of hostas, there are many types of astelbies, not all bloom at the same time. Speaking of time, If you want your garden to always be in bloom somewhere then you have to select plants a variety of seasonal plants. Also I tend to look at a plant and or a shurb for how they look when not in bloom, that also is a visual delight to have. Lastly, I rarely go by my heart, you may pick something that will not work, and then it is a failure and you have wasted money.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Stay away from all synthetic chemicals

Build soil

Don’t buy “patented” seed or seed connected with Monsanto

Don’t try to do too much at once. Start with a few plants first.

Know what zone you’re in and what will grow in that zone

Mulch is important for many reasons; don’t forget to make use of it

Don’t over water your houseplants; plants aren’t fish.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Ask yourself couple of questions?
What do you want to grow: vegetables, herbs, spices, flowers?
How much land do you have? If you don't have land,do you think you can do gardening on bins.
Once you know what you want to plant, then research on how to find seeds and when to plant seeds..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm watching this thread because I'm quite new as well and always eager for some tips :). So far I've gotten a lot of advice to start off small, with low maintenance plants and then work on expanding what you are comfortable working with....sounds like fair advice to me.
Hi Dr Yellow, Have you got stuck in to compost & its' importance & is
a compost pile forming yet? :)

SCD

Ask a Question