Hello, budding beginner here.

Reaction score
Hi!

I will be moving into a new property shortly and i finally get a garden!

As i've never had my own garden, i cant help but dream about what i can do with it.

I want a beautiful garden that is amazing to look at, somewhere i can relax and also host! Finding the balance might be tricky but i look forward to the challenge and all the possibilities that lie ahead of me.

I look forward to picking all of your brains in this fantastic community!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Where do you live, if you don't mind telling, please?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome, and if you don't mind, I'll address you as "green thumb" from now on. We'll be happy to help, advise, and sympathize (if needed).
First bit of advice--start small, learn what your soil will support, and don't expect 100% success. Those of us who have been gardening for years are still learning, and that is part of the beauty and joy of having a garden.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Welcome to the forum greenthumb from another novice; you'll feel right at home here. (y)

If you want to keep weeds down I can highly recommend 6" thick concrete. :):):)

marlingardener and Larisa are bang on when they say take your time; as a novice it's easy to dive in planting everything at once but in a new garden it can look quite sparse for a couple of years until plants and shrubs etc get settled in and put on growth; I'd love to spend a lot of money on our gardens for quick results but it doesn't work this way; be selective and have plenty of patience; you'll win through and have a garden to be proud of if you stick with it. Good luck.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Incidentally, I am still budding, not exactly a gardener though! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums hellomynmeisdrgreenthumb. :) It would be helpful please if you placed your area in your avatar box. The forums have multi-national members and it helps when discussing plants/gardens what sort of climate you will be working with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
88.gif

I remember living in an apartment and then renting a 2nd floor of a house...neither had gardens. When we finally bought our own house, one of the best things was finally having our own gardens.

Ask a Question