Basil doesn't seem to like me

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have tried growing basil several different times. And each time, it doesn't last much more than a week. I have tried growing it from seeds and I have tried planting starts. I've placed then in different areas, and I've given them the right amount of water. I have had success with other herbs and such and yet each time with basil, it dies on me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
What do you mean by "right amount of water"? Overwatering is the most common problem. Do you let the soil get crisp dry before watering, or is it always moist?

How about sunlight? Basil needs full sun to thrive well.

What soil are you using? Is it rich in nutrients, or is it dead soil with no life?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Basil likes sun, heat, dry soil that is deep watered when the leaves start to droop, and frequent harvesting. If you can either start Genovese Large Leaf basil from seed, or get a started pot, it is the easiest and tastiest to grow. Basil likes to be in the ground, and if that isn't possible, a large pot. A lot of fertilizer which results in rich soil, will give you a large and lush plant without much taste. Most herbs that we use are from the Mediterrannian area, and naturally grow in poor soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Where do you live/what is your USDA growing zone? And are you growing basil outside, indoors, container, where?

I grow both sweet and Thai basil every year outdoors in large containers. I love it in cooking and salads. I buy starters from the garden center every spring and plant after frost. It always goes nuts; in fact I have to keep nipping it so it quits trying to bolt.

Five-6 hours per day outdoor sun. I very very rarely water mine. Sometimes never for an entire summer, or like this year it's been very dry here so maybe three times to date. When it gets wilted basically.

As stated above, with any plant look to its region of origin for a rough idea of what sort of care it requires. Most spices and herbs are really tough and need minimal care. They wouldn't have thrived over centuries if they were needy or delicate. ;)

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had the same problem for years. Then one year, I was like... Ah forget it. And I did. It grew like crazy that year! Go figure!

Ask a Question