Banana Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Son was telling my wife about cutting off a Banana Tree. Bringing in the Roots and replanting in the Spring.

Anyone else hear of this?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is very confusing. I watched couple videos and they said don't cut off the Mother Plant until after it fruits.

I'm in Zone 6 it gets around zero F in the Winter.

Right now I have my Trees in containers in my Greenhouse they have not fruited but they are getting too tall for the Greenhouse.

One video in New England the guy had them planted in the yard cut them off and mulched them with Straw and Leaves about 2 foot deep and he had a bunch.

I was thinking I could do the same with Cannas cut then off and mulch them heavy.

What has me confused it cutting before fruiting?

big rockpile
20231007_120421.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You're about 2 zones too cold to grow it in the ground. The only way you'll get fruit is to put it in a REALY big pot 24-36" and maybe lay it down at a 45* angle through the winter. It won't produce fruit until it gets 15-20' tall. Cut it down every winter and use it as an ornamental.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I watched a video of a guy in New England was getting Bananas off his.

He had a whole big area with them. Cut them down and mulch a couple feet.

I don't know. Got a guy that my Son knows he is getting Bananas off his. And Son was going to find out more.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Doing more reading I think these are Dwarf and won't get but about 6 foot tall and produce Bananas the second year but takes 9 months for them to ripped.

So with these I think I'm doing ok.

big rockpile

Ask a Question