Banana tree plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I'm a novice at growing plants. I just recently received a banana plant. It's been indoors and I intend on keeping it that way.
Problem: I have discovered some tiny white bugs on and I'm sure in the soil. Does anyone have an idea of what they may be?
I dont have a picture because they're almost invisible to the eye so I don't think it'll show on camera.
Also, how would I repot it and what soil should I use.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! It sounds like you might have a mealy bug problem. Do they happen to look something like this?
mealybug-damage.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. They're definitely not fuzzy. After doing more research, I really think they're springtails. It did come from a local garden and is made of compost and mulch. I've read that springtails can be beneficial so im not sure if I should get rid of them or repot.

I will try to take a picture of it today for clarity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would really love to grow some plants indoors.
Any suggestions for a few indoor floor and hanging plants with easy maintenance and little sunlight?
Definitely pothos! They grow beautifully and is a trailing plant. Spider plants make nice hanging baskets and they have babies like crazy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely pothos! They grow beautifully and is a trailing plant. Spider plants make nice hanging baskets and they have babies like crazy!
Thanks for the great advice!
I've attached a photo of the bugs. Can you confirm what it is?

Attachments

• 20210826_122749.jpg
    20210826_122749.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here they are clustered together.

Thanks for the great advice!
I've attached a photo of the bugs. Can you confirm what it is?
Those are definitely springtails. They aren't necessarily harmful to the plant, but since you have it inside I couldn't imagine wanting those pesky little bugs inside! Someone more experienced i had that issue with some outside potted plants last spring but it wasn't too bad so I left it alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You can use any good packaged potting soil, nothing special.
Bananas need lots and lots of light to do well indoors. Repot it when it is very large for the pot.
Easy plants are:
Pothos
Heartleaf philodendron
Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema)
Dracaenas
Kentia palm
Parlor palm

Ask a Question