Banana Tree help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My father in law gave us this banana tree last fall. When we received it, the leaves were already torn. It was outside for a few weeks, but then I brought it in for the winter and it seemed to be doing well. It sprouted new leaves and the torn ones fell off. I repotted it to a larger pot with fresh potting mix.

All seemed to be going fine, until two weeks ago when the fresh leaves started turning brown and tearing. Two have fallen off and I moved it outside thinking it wasn't getting enough sun.

how can I help my banana tree out of this slump and help it thrive?

Attachments

• IMG_6123.JPG
    IMG_6123.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 991
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's pretty cold for a banana plant. How much water were you giving it indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My father in law gave us this banana tree last fall. When we received it, the leaves were already torn. It was outside for a few weeks, but then I brought it in for the winter and it seemed to be doing well. It sprouted new leaves and the torn ones fell off. I repotted it to a larger pot with fresh potting mix.

All seemed to be going fine, until two weeks ago when the fresh leaves started turning brown and tearing. Two have fallen off and I moved it outside thinking it wasn't getting enough sun.

how can I help my banana tree out of this slump and help it thrive?
Your plant looks like the same species of banana I grow. You say you moved it outside for more sun, so that does make me wonder how much direct sun it was getting before; moving it outside for more direct sun was definitely a good move, since they love and need lots of sun. Your temps are below what the plant likes, but it will survive until the temps increase, they only real effect will be slow growing rate. But they also like a lot of humidity in the air, so if you live in a relatively dry area, that can be not so good for the plant.

Banana plants love very rich, fertile soil and lots of watering. I grow my in the ground and keep it heavily mulched, since you grow yours in a container, I'm not sure how to advise on that, since I have no experience there. That soil in the container does look a little dry (as best I can tell), it's very tough to over water a banana plant; I would add some type of compost/fertilizer and water. And probably bring inside at night if the air is dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Your plant looks like the same species of banana I grow. You say you moved it outside for more sun, so that does make me wonder how much direct sun it was getting before; moving it outside for more direct sun was definitely a good move, since they love and need lots of sun. Your temps are below what the plant likes, but it will survive until the temps increase, they only real effect will be slow growing rate. But they also like a lot of humidity in the air, so if you live in a relatively dry area, that can be not so good for the plant.

Banana plants love very rich, fertile soil and lots of watering. I grow my in the ground and keep it heavily mulched, since you grow yours in a container, I'm not sure how to advise on that, since I have no experience there. That soil in the container does look a little dry (as best I can tell), it's very tough to over water a banana plant; I would add some type of compost/fertilizer and water. And probably bring inside at night if the air is dry.

Thank you! It wasn't getting as much light as it probably needed indoors. We have 3 cats, and unfortunately, one cat had taken to using the poor plant as an extra litterbox, so I had to move it to an east facing window in a room I could shut the door. I have rocks over the soil now, and it's been outside for a about a week now. It certainly isn't getting any worse, and we have had a lot of rain lately. So hopefully it's enjoying the humidity and rain, if not the temperature.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will make sure it stays hydrated and in full light now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Careful you don't overwater though - if the leaves go limp that could be a sign of over-watering, whereas brown leaf edges suggest too little water. It's a fine line!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
A young plant is sprouting at the base, I am not sure but cat urine can kill plant, check the drain at bottom of plant pot, if soil is bit sandy flush water so that it could dilute the concentration. You should split the young sprout to get separate new plant.
I have planted mine on ground, my cat sometimes use the trunk to sharpen his claw, or climb on it for fun.

Banana plant are tough to kill, heavy feeder, and need lots of water...BTW we have very hot climate here, so feel the soil and then water yours.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Careful you don't overwater though - if the leaves go limp that could be a sign of over-watering, whereas brown leaf edges suggest too little water. It's a fine line!
I said previously that it's tough to over-water a banana plant and that's generally true, but I believe Becky makes a good point. For one, I don't have mine in a container and secondly you have relatively cool temps now, so with those things in mind, I agree with Becky to be careful not to over-water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I said previously that it's tough to over-water a banana plant and that's generally true, but I believe Becky makes a good point. For one, I don't have mine in a container and secondly you have relatively cool temps now, so with those things in mind, I agree with Becky to be careful not to over-water.

right now it's been fairly rainy in my area, so I'm letting nature do its thing. I have also removed the saucer I had under the pot in order for it to drain better outside. I'm keeping an eye on the temp and hoping things improve soon! I really appreciate the advice and I will post Chiquita's progress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
So the banana tree has come back with a vengeance. It's been very humid and warm lately and has been loving it. However, it's shooting off little suckers at the base. Do I need to remove those? Will they take nutrients away from the main plant? or can I leave it alone?

Ask a Question