Is my banana tree sick?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s stem has been browning. But it is still growing new leaves. I’m confused if it has a disease or If I’m doing something wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 77
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think your plant has Marasmiellus inoderma rot. Have you had some very damp weather lately?

Welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's a potted plant, have you been leaving it out in the rain the entire time?

I'm curious how deep that brown spot goes. The out part of the pseudostem is a compact assemblage of overlapping arranged leaf sheaths. You can probably pull it back gently and see how deep the brown spot goes.

However, one problem I see with your plant is that the pot is way too small for its size. I can't recommend pot size, since I don't do container gardening, all my banana plants are out in the yard. I'm not sure how bananas do in pots, but if it's possible I'd plant it outside, but probably wait till next year, depending where you live, but for now it looks like it needs immediate transplant into a larger pot.

Ask a Question