Banana Tree help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
However, it's shooting off little suckers at the base. Do I need to remove those?
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-suckers-banana-tree-34085.html said:
Side shoots called suckers grow from the stem of the main plant, also known as the mother plant.

When carefully removed from the main stem and replanted in the ground or in a container, a sucker can develop into a new banana plant...

Removing excess shoots from your main banana plant will encourage the plant to focus on flowering and fruiting. Cut off all unwanted shoots as you notice them.

source
I didn't know that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
IMG_7775.JPG
IMG_7776.JPG
IMG_7777.JPG
IMG_7778.JPG
Here are some photos of the banana tree and it's shoots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think you're going to need a bigger boat:)
I agree. Bigger pot and keep one of the pups. Once the main plant fruits, it will die. Keep a pup in there to replace it. Most banana growers will allow a main plant, juvenile, and baby pup thus ensuring that once one flowers another will be just a few months behind it.

Some species of banana are more cold tolerant than others. Some will show damage in the 40s, others will be OK down to freezing. Some can go lower, but don't produce edible fruit. If your temps are into the 40s i would bring it in since toy don't seem to know what variety it is.

Ask a Question