Banana flowering soon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Bad timing I think, in the 80s now but it will get pretty chilly here in a month or so. Hopefully is an average or better winter and I get some fruit!

20171108_161147.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a good idea just to chop it off if you know there is no way it will fruit properly as it might take too much energy out of the plant. Save the energy for next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Might be a good idea just to chop it off if you know there is no way it will fruit properly as it might take too much energy out of the plant. Save the energy for next year.
Since it's already pushing the flag leaf, would cutting it now basically kill that plant? They only flower once.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I planted another dwarf size in a cut open barrel, you can try that, it might be better in a way you can take indoor or to spot where you get max sun light.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look at this one please

Apparently, banana flower is superfood for women. Perhaps, someone wants to sell more and make some money.. just perhaps..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
may be after two months later vette-kid can refer the video about cutting the flower,`.alp

they grow slow! after growing certain bunch it stops and flower fall off but heart continue to grow.

the heart/ flower attract insects and make the area dirty, my case its attracting ant colony.:mad:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
These are dwarf, but still WAY too big for indoors!

LOL! You will have to take it in SOMEWHERE or wrap round with a big piece of fleece unless you don't have winter ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
LOL! You will have to take it in SOMEWHERE or wrap round with a big piece of fleece unless you don't have winter ..
Not really winter, just a few chilli nights here and there. Perhaps a few hours below freezing. It's about 8 feet tall and has a spread about the same, no way it's going inside!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Apparently we are on same page, :D

;) lets see mine is just a foot tall now!

I put this one in the ground around march at about a foot tall. It's grown super fast and I'm actually surprised to see the flag this early!

A have a California gold about the same height and an ice cream that is probably about 10ft or so and a variegated Florida at about 6ft.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Concensus on a banana forum seems to be to push it hard with potassium fertilizer to try and get it to ripen before the real cold (ok, real coldeal for us means nights in the 30s and flring with freezing on occasion) hits in mid Jan.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here, growing banana is an exotic experience. Nobody expects bananas.. How lucky you are...

Ask a Question