Astilbe

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What exactly is bulky matter:eek::eek:, Verdun?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Material like compost, manure, raw seaweed, etc., "stuff" that adds physicality to the soil. The fertiliser content can be low but the importance of this is to "feed" the soil rather than the plants initially. It helps retain moisture, provides humus and helps create a soil environment for bacteria and animal life to thrive. Different to fertiliser which is akin to us taking vitamins. To continue the analogy, bulky matter is a bit like us eating solid food........???
My priority in the garden is to dig in organic bulky matter in preference to adding too much fertiliser.
Hope this is helpful alp! ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Verdun: You're always helpful. I will tag along with you as my guide..

Wish I could get some seaweed in my morning walk! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is this what astilbe looks like when it comes up? I noticed this little "baby" plant the other day, and astilbe should be the only thing that's there. So, now, anxiously looking for more of the same. [unless it's poison ivy, then I'm NOT looking for more of the same, LOL!]

IMG_9312.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That actually looks like it. @Verdun might be in a better position to help you.
Actually, today I noticed another plantlet. I didn't get pics, but what they look like today says more than the first pic. But of close to a dozen that I planted, so far these are the only ones showing signs of life....

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Make sure you water them please. They do look very dead, but there might be life in the dry sticks. If you look closer, you might be able to see them. That's how the store assistant showed me what to look for. The whole clump looked dead, but on close inspection, there was a green dot showing life. Make sure you water them and that they are in shady places.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, water and water regularly for good astilbes. A dry soil and asrilbes will wither away :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its ok MMathis.....you're excited ;)
I am just the same when watched for shoots suddenly appear.....isnt gardening fun? (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
And make sure you use the same thread to upload your flowers and I will upload mine if the rain comes to their rescue! ;):p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just curious, but will these new plants put out flowers this year? I know that some plants don't flower until their 2nd season, but astilbe is unknown territory for me.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My astilbe is going to flower soon. I saw some red buds on top. Will take a pic. How's yours?

Ask a Question