Astilbe questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
  1. Will they bloom during the same season they were planted?
  2. What time of year do they usually bloom?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mine did not bloom the first year, but came up and bloomed the next spring. Mine come in around the middle of June, but I am in Zone 3.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For me astilbes bloom from June to now.....so an early to mid summer flowerer MMathis
Dont overlook their spring foliage .........many have copper or red foliage to rival any foliage plant.
I also grow a variety called Shogun.....wonderful coloured foliage and pink flowers that are a little later than other astilbes.
Grown well astilbes are superb and as a bonus slugs avoid them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/astilbe/types-of-astilbe.htm

and the pink kind in my pic. . I have a very tall white, some short pink, short purple, not all bloom the same time.
IMG_2327.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They prefer shade, dappled shade, but it is the soil that is important.
Mine grow in full sun but in good enriched moisture holding soil. I have big healthy clumps.
Yes, they are pretty tbendl and so reliable (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tm, do you have these already or are you looking to get some? I found a great place in FL that ships and seems super inexpensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tm, do you have these already or are you looking to get some? I found a great place in FL that ships and seems super inexpensive.
I found some packaged dry-root ones at Home Depot (or Lowe's, who remembers....). Was intrigued that they were shade-loving and have the perfect place among some ferns. I don't even recall what colors they were, or the heights, etc. When I got them home and opened the sacks, was very discouraged that the roots, tubers, whatever, were dried to the point that I couldn't tell which end was "stem" or "root." I soaked them all for a few hours, then said a little prayer before planting them. Gee, I think I started out with about 12 little dried up things.....and now have 5 or 6 little plants growing. No blooms yet, but am content to wait until their 2nd growing season. Let me know the place in FL if you end up getting any from them and are happy with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely shade/dappled shade for FL. They love moisture retentive/even boggy soil, swamp land? :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mark, yet another must have plant for you, Astilbe Shogun. Superb black/purple foliage and pink flowers. Check it out. I have a couple here and they are stunning :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'll add that one to the list too, I was admiring the range of foliage on them in a nursery a few weeks back

Ask a Question