Astilbe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought some bare root plants at Home Depot [the kind that come in a bag of peat]. When I got ready to plant them I was surprised to find that they were a mass of plant material and there wasn't really an "up" or "down" reference -- a few had sprouty things, but in my ignorance, I couldn't tell if they were stems sprouts or roots..... For the ones I couldn't tell, I planted them sideways, LOL -- well, there was a 50/50 chance.

1. Will these guys grow since they looked DEAD?
  2. Will it really matter which end got planted up vs down?
  3. How long before I start to see the little plants peeking out?
I was excited to learn about this plant! I love ferns, so this was the perfect combo for my new fern bed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont forget to keep them moist MMathis. Astilbes love moisture .......
Ferns, astilbes and astrantias make good bedfellows
When will you see signs of growth? Patience I guess but sometime in the spring :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would submerge them in a bucket of water for at least 1-2 hours, they are so dry when purchased bare root from DIY stores

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Verdun and Mark56 are right. I bought two reduced plants and the woman staff taught me that they liked it moist and shady. They looked quite dead, but she pointed to the centres and I could see something green. She told me not to cut any of the foliage as they might help to insulate the plants against cold weather. (She's sooooo nice). So I put them somewhere shady and water them. This year, lovely new copper foliage has sprung up. The other one has got green foliage. I'm so pleased with my bargains.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Funny the way you put it. Why not show us some photos? I will upload mine for you tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For something a bit different astilbe shogun is a beauty .....no other astilbe like it! Foliage to rival the purple acers

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Verdun I must keep an eye out for this. Just got my seeds for hibiscus mutabilis - the one which changes from white to pink to deeper pink throughout the day..

Alas, my germination record has ruined my confidence this year!:eek::eek::cry::cry:! Skeletal remains everywhere in my lean-to!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dont forget to keep them moist MMathis. Astilbes love moisture .......
Ferns, astilbes and astrantias make good bedfellows
When will you see signs of growth? Patience I guess but sometime in the spring :)
THIS spring or NEXT spring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully THIS spring MMathis :)
If those roots are alive and rehydrated they will grow quite quickly

Share your enthusiasm Esther for astilbes. Although my soil is prob a little on the light side it has been generously enriched to hold moisture.......hence I grow some big specimens. I the early spring foliage colour is not always fully appreciated. New foliage can be copper, red, fresh light green......for shogun read purple/black........and then those wonderful feathery plumes ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How do you enrich the soil to hold moisture please, Verdun?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya alp
I mix in dried manure, pelleted chicken manure, garden compost and fish blood and bone to make a rich moisture holding soil. After planting astilbes a thorough watering and a thick mulch of compost and they will thrive. ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Shame I have more or less used up all my bonemeal. I must try to do that on a big scale as it's so dry in Essex. Thank you, Verdun!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its not really about bonemeal alp.......its more about adding bulky matter to the soil ;)

Ask a Question