Asparagus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I love asparagus, especially when cooked with scrambled eggs and shrimp, but just eggs is fine with me. I have organic seeds and I was wondering if this is a good time to plant them here in Texas. I believe I'm not gonna get a crop until the second year, or so I've read. Does anyone here grow them? Any advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it is a little late. The seeds should be planted in pots about the first of March and when about a foot tall transplant them into fertile permanent beds. When grown from seeds it will probably be the 3rd year before any real harvest. Here in Texas weeds are a major problem and so is the heat in the summer. I grew it years ago but it became too much of a PITA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I was afraid of that. I didn't start the seeds earlier this year because, being this my first year gardening, I wanted to concentrate on easier stuff to grow. I'll just wait till next year and I'll give them a try.

It was easier when I was a little girl. We just went to the woods and picked them by the side of the trail. Good ole days :)

Ask a Question