Asparagus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to try growing asparagus in my square foot bed. Mel's book says that 1 plant to a square, so 16 plants in a 4 ft square bed. This seems pretty close,,has anyone grown asparagus in a square foot with success?? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never tried sq ft gardening but planting asparagus crowns 1 ft apart seems terribly close together. When I grew asparagus I grew it in rows and each row was a minimum of 2 ft apart. Each crown was about 2 ft apart. About the 5th year the entire thing was a mass of asparagus. It seems to me that planting 1 ft apart will in 2 or 3 years time be a hindrance for a long term asparagus bed. I had my bed for about 15 years until I sold the property and moved to where I am now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Asparagus is not suited to square foot gardening as it has to spread to make an effective bed. It is a perennial ( at least here) that comes back year after year, so you don't want to limit its' space too much.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Asparagus is notoriously prone to attracting weeds. In your 4 ft. square bed, you could put in eight plants and mulch heavily! We use hay, but layers of cardboard between plants, or grass clippings, or anything you can lay your hands on to give at minimum 4" of mulch.
We get two harvests here in Texas--heavier in the spring, but a nice cutting or two in the fall.
Would you please put your location and growing zone in your avatar? It would help us give better advice and suggestions. And, a warm welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
20180404_134059.jpg
Gotta say my biggest gardening downfall is.....recommended spacing. My brain tells me to follow the guidelines but something happens to the signal between my brain and my trowel. Took this picture today, April 4th. This is our bed's 2nd year. The bed is 55" x 35" and I planted a whole bag of crowns in that space. Honesty, I crammed them all in there......and BOOM....they took off. Maybe it's because the bed is 60%+ homemade compost. These plants are 6 - 7 foot tall, already, with more and more shoots showing up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've had white asparagus before, it's delicious :)

:) White asparagus is green asparagus, they just deprive it of light. That's why it's only available in the spring.

When the spears begin to stick out of the ground, producers will cover them with dirt or black plastic to keep them in the dark. This limit on sun exposure inhibits the production of chlorophyll, which is what makes asparagus normally turn green. It also results in a milder flavor.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-is-white-asparagus_us_58f56f37e4b0bb9638e5e1a0

Reaction score
Country
Canada
View attachment 34442 Gotta say my biggest gardening downfall is.....recommended spacing. My brain tells me to follow the guidelines but something happens to the signal between my brain and my trowel. Took this picture today, April 4th. This is our bed's 2nd year. The bed is 55" x 35" and I planted a whole bag of crowns in that space. Honesty, I crammed them all in there......and BOOM....they took off. Maybe it's because the bed is 60%+ homemade compost. These plants are 6 - 7 foot tall, already, with more and more shoots showing up.

Holy smokes! that is gorgeous! Can you describe your homemade compost?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Holy smokes! that is gorgeous! Can you describe your homemade compost?
The compost used in this bed was made from veg kitchen "scraps" for the nitrogen and old, used straw hay for the carbon....all "cooked" in a compost tumbler. Note: I ALWAYS cut the veg scraps into small pieces for faster breakdown.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
What does your soil consist of?

I made an elaborate bed. Added sand and compost about a foot deep. Mixed well and add compost and wood chips every year. A bed lasts for 20 or so years so it is worth the effort. I get about 10 to 15 pounds over the six week season in the Spring. Do a google and look at suggestions for making a bed. It is my first vegetable in the Spring so is highly regarded. My soil is clay with much city compost worked in.

Ask a Question