Asparagus Question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I have no idea what forum this belongs in or what I'm doing. lol We moved into this place last year. There is a place right up against the Bike Shed (I collect old bikes) that is as long as the shed (long as a car) and wide as....3 or 4 mower swaths. The previous owner planted: Rhubarb, roses, chives, strawberries, herbs, peonies and Asparagus. I really have let this get out of hand. I would like to narrow it down to just the Asparagus and start over or seed the rest in grass. It just keeps growing up in weeds; seemingly overnight.
I say all that to ask this. What do I do with the Asparagus? I assume it will grow tall and look unruly and my wife probably won't like that look. I think you are supposed to let it just grow out. Some of it still looks edible.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You do need to let it grow tall to build up strength for the next year, it looks quite nice though, best thing to do is let it grow up thru some plant supports so it doesn't flop everywhere.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, you could tie it in as it grows :)

Ask a Question