Asparagus, or asparagus fern?

Fin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me please. I have in my garden what I have been told is an asparagus fern, which is poisonous.
Each year it grows numerous shoots from underground which look like the asparagus you eat.
These eventually grow to around 4ft delicate fern foliage. In winter it dries and dies back to ground level.
Is this in fact true edible asparagus?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
The Asparagus fern is called Asparagus plumosis. There is also A.sprengeri. These are just two of some 300 vars in the ornamental asparagus.

The edible or culinary one is. Asparagus officinalis. This is usually grown in ridges and displays only the vegitive spikes, that are cut and cooked.

Fin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forums Fin, it sounds as if it's the edible one. But pics would help.
Thanks Logan. That's what I was thinking.
Picture wise, it being winter, this is a current photo.
IMG_20240113_112946_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Female asparagus plants will go to seed & produce what looks like little red berries.
You either have all male plants, (possible somewhat unlikely) or it's not asparagus.

Fin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh. Ok then, I'll resist trying some shoots with dinner come late spring, and take more photos through the season. It's possible that I have missed the berries of course. Thanks for comments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In the beginning of our marriage, husband brings over two asparagus ferns, the ones that drop red berries, and little branchy type leaves. Hated them. Seemed he did not think it was his job to clean up the stupid fallen red berries etc all over the floor. Every day as I got past the pots I'd whisper to them, Die, Die, please Die. Finally they died, thank goodness, .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone help me please. I have in my garden what I have been told is an asparagus fern, which is poisonous.
Each year it grows numerous shoots from underground which look like the asparagus you eat.
These eventually grow to around 4ft delicate fern foliage. In winter it dries and dies back to ground level.
Is this in fact true edible asparagus?
It is in fact edible asparagus. Asparagus Fern does not have thick shoots. It has long, skinny stems that sprout smaller branches with spiky leaves. Light green, Asparagus is medium green.
If it has shoots like you see in the supermarket asparagus, it's edible. Lucky you!

Fin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is in fact edible asparagus. Asparagus Fern does not have thick shoots. It has long, skinny stems that sprout smaller branches with spiky leaves. Light green, Asparagus is medium green.
If it has shoots like you see in the supermarket asparagus, it's edible. Lucky you!
Thanks for that m. I'm swaying towards edible now. If I'm still not sure at shooting time perhaps I'll try a bit on the wife first. 🥰

Ask a Question