Asparagus Fern dropping leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My two Asparagus ferns I got a week ago for my birthday are dropping leaves quickly!! I haven't watered or transplanted it since I got it from Lowes. Could it be the temperature/climate changes? Is there anything I can do to help it recover? Please help, I just lost my Cala Lilly, my little Mango tree is looking bad, and my Kiwano vines are on the edge after transplant!!! I can't stand loosing another plant :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How much light does it get? As far as I know they like a lot of water (relatively speaking) and prefer bright indirect light - although less water will be needed if they are in low light. How long since you got it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sorry you lost your Calla lily. :(

Since they came from Lowe's, they may have been fairly stressed already and some plants are not resilient to change. I wonder if you were to repot it in good (preferably organic, not Miracle Gro or cheap potting soil), they would rebound?

I don't know if an application of fertilizer would help...I know most house plants go a bit dormant in winter and shouldn't be fertilized then. But if you're in SoCal maybe it would be OK.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
My calla's look dead too.... but always come back in spring;) what Becky said about your Asparagus fern ......they need a lot of water leave the pot sitting in a tray of water so it can absorb as much as it needs Remove the brown leaves so only the green ones remain. It's best to do this as fast as possible because rotten leaves will attract diseases. What turns brown, stays brown. Leave in the same pot till spring. by then it should have roots popping out the base of the pot & mass of them in it ...the fern needs plenty of water although a little less than in summer the. Calla needs none till spring & mango needs only be kept just moist till spring too. just keep an eye on the growing point of your mango, as long as the stem and tip are alive &healthy green in colour, then fresh leaves should form come spring. A cool dry position with good light but away from any Frost (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My calla's look dead too.... but always come back in spring;) what Becky said about your Asparagus fern ......they need a lot of water leave the pot sitting in a tray of water so it can absorb as much as it needs Remove the brown leaves so only the green ones remain. It's best to do this as fast as possible because rotten leaves will attract diseases. What turns brown, stays brown. Leave in the same pot till spring. by then it should have roots popping out the base of the pot & mass of them in it ...the fern needs plenty of water although a little less than in summer the. Calla needs none till spring & mango needs only be kept just moist till spring too. just keep an eye on the growing point of your mango, as long as the stem and tip are alive &healthy green in colour, then fresh leaves should form come spring. A cool dry position with good light but away from any Frost (y)
I replanted both of my asparagus ferns, I found a earthworm in one of them. They don't look like they are dropping any leaves and I've actually seen allot of new growth one both of them. I'd love to let them sit in a pot of water but what about fungus gnats?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm sorry you lost your Calla lily. :(

Since they came from Lowe's, they may have been fairly stressed already and some plants are not resilient to change. I wonder if you were to repot it in good (preferably organic, not Miracle Gro or cheap potting soil), they would rebound?

I don't know if an application of fertilizer would help...I know most house plants go a bit dormant in winter and shouldn't be fertilized then. But if you're in SoCal maybe it would be OK.
Thank you, that helped allot. How long should I wait till water after replant? Instantly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you, that helped allot. How long should I wait till water after replant? Instantly?

For sure right after replanting, a good soaking to settle the soil around the roots.
BTW the cat in your avatar is adorable, is it yours? I'm partial to grey cats. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For sure right after replanting, a good soaking to settle the soil around the roots.
BTW the cat in your avatar is adorable, is it yours? I'm partial to grey cats. :)
Hahaha I wish. My cat isn't photogenic at all and I just needed a profile picture, thank you so much :)

Ask a Question