Ever seen a 4' Asparagus Fern?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
This beautiful 4' giant is going in the back left corner of our pond bank.

Here in zone 8a Asparaqus ferns are perennials. If I leave in a suitable size pot it could be brought into the garage during freezing weather and possibly stay green throughout winter. Because it is so large I'm wondering if it's best for it to be planted. Please advise........

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have any experiences with asparagus fern, but I love how they are looking so healthy and full. If it is me I would keep them in the pot, as they drape themselves down beautifully. Planting them won't have the same effect, I don't think as they will just cover the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
This morning I ascertained it was far too big for to handle plus. The pot it was in was too small so if I kept it in a pot it would be a major chore because of its bulk to transfer to a 20" to 22" pot and add additional potting mix. To plant the massive beauty would have also been a big issue since the area I selected would to be dug out, better soil/compost mixture put in then mounded. My great all around handy man could have easily accomplished the tasks but the bill for extra materials and labor would have us spending about $110 for this fern. Fern - $40, Material - $30, Labor - $40 (2 hours). That's too much for a fern that either must be repotted and brought into the garage for the winter or allowed to die back and not know how much would grow back. The nursery was not happy with me but better I bailed out now than the alternative. I must admit, it's beauty overwhelmed my sensibilities. Was an impulse buy. Those can get anyone in a spot. I sometimes feel ashamed that I am not physically able to do the work I could do years ago. Not to worry all will work out. :rolleyes:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely fern :)

Pity i'm not there, i'd repot it for you :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful plant. Maybe if you started to section off parts of the plant to repot, knowing you will lose a portion of the plant you would be able to have up to 6 smaller plants that you can handle. I did that a while back with a large plant, I was surprised that most of the plant lived and continued to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
That asparagus fern did look amazing in the pot. I have one in my fernery area, it's quite shaded so survives our summers and the winters aren't too harsh. I've been warned that they can be invasive but so far I'm happy with it. I'd like to try one in a pot though after seeing your photo. Shame you couldn't keep but you must be kind to,it and you were. I'm sure it will find a good home!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The asparagus fern us what is produced after the harvesting of the spears is complete for the season. It dies off and produces energy for next years spear growth.
Here is an example.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?VTVTB 11 June 2013 Asparagus finished for the season.
The asparagus is finished for 2013.The stalks are now allowed to grow to produce food for the 2014 harvest.Some shoots grow about six inches in one night at this stage of growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
Sorry Durgan, we are talking about a species of fern not vegetable. I love grilled young Asparagus. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
That asparagus fern did look amazing in the pot. I have one in my fernery area, it's quite shaded so survives our summers and the winters aren't too harsh. I've been warned that they can be invasive but so far I'm happy with it. I'd like to try one in a pot though after seeing your photo. Shame you couldn't keep but you must be kind to,it and you were. I'm sure it will find a good home!

We've had another Asparagus fern for years. It always re-grows beautifully after dying back during winter. :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had an asparagus fern just like your about 15 years ago. It lived on our patio in the summer and had to be brought inside during the winter(Zone 6b). It got so huge I just couldn't lift it, so I bought a roller base for the pot and just pushed it into the house. Indoors during the winter, it would shed leaves and some of the tendrils would be bare and spindly. I assumed it was too dry because of the heat/furnace. I usually just trimmed the offenders and watered all winter. In the spring when we rolled it back out to the porch, she would get a nice hair cut and start growing like crazy again! I loved that plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
This fern is seen all over my garden and it grows on its own. I need to pull it out lest it should smother my other plants. I use it as a base for my flower arrangements.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful............

If you want to take care of your asparagus fern then here is a quick guide.

If you are fond of reading have a quick look at this

Ask a Question