Are my seeds doomed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I planted cauliflower, tomatoes, okra and zucchini seeds 8 days ago and they haven't germinated yet. The soil always ends up looking dry.
So, I watered them a little more than usual yesterday and placed a plastic bag over them to keep the moisture in. (Found this tip online. In hindsight, that seems to be a bad move)
Today morning, I noticed a layer of fungus on the soil.
Should I get rid of these seeds and start over?

Attachments

• 15882008246335659615739496981828.jpg
    15882008246335659615739496981828.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 103
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,
I planted cauliflower, tomatoes, okra and zucchini seeds 8 days ago and they haven't germinated yet. The soil always ends up looking dry.
So, I watered them a little more than usual yesterday and placed a plastic bag over them to keep the moisture in. (Found this tip online. In hindsight, that seems to be a bad move)
Today morning, I noticed a layer of fungus on the soil.
Should I get rid of these seeds and start over?
Yep, that is fungus, a beneficial fungus named Tricoderma. You want all the tricoderma you can get. Your seeds are still fine and you will not have to worry about damping off disease. Put the Saran Wrap back on until germination. Is the seedling tray on a heat mat? What is the temperature of the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem is your seed soil mix needs more drainage because of the peat pots hold water. The cells are producing mold because of the excess humidity. You are doing the very opposite of what plants grow best in, because they need a lot of oxygen in the beginning. Had you used a dome or plastic the humidity would of doubled and not worked either.
The way I germ seeds is give the plant cells one watering. After one watering I cover the seeds that are tiny, with plastic, but if they are large like beans, zucchini, orka, I don't have to cover them, just the tiny ones. Wait and you will see sprouts in 3 to 5 days. The minute you see a sprout, take off the plastic and leave it off and don't give the second watering until 7 to 10 days after the first watering. Give them plenty of light after you see spouts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yep, that is fungus, a beneficial fungus named Tricoderma. You want all the tricoderma you can get. Your seeds are still fine and you will not have to worry about damping off disease. Put the Saran Wrap back on until germination. Is the seedling tray on a heat mat? What is the temperature of the soil.
Hi Chuck, thank you for your response and insight. The tray is not on a heat mat. Unfortunately, I do not own a thermometer. I should probably buy these soon.

Ask a Question