Do I still need to start seeds inside 45 to 50 degrees outside?

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I outlined on a previous post, I've been forced to learn some hard lessons this year with petunias. all but 3 of 300 have died. I'm going to take what I've learned and try again with marigolds.

I started my Petunias in the basement, but if I can, I'd like to start the marigolds in the greenhouse unless the temperature is going to be a problem.

It's been getting in the low 40's lately. I think the real light would be better than the grow lights in the basement, but will the 72 degree basement be more helpful?

Please let me know what you think? ALL advice welcomed.

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Marigolds are summer plants so the temps need to be kept constant at 72 to 80 degrees. If the temps drop below that, the growth will slow or stop and the same is for germatation too. Warmth is vital for Marigolds. Here is what I use for planting seeds and I have about 98% success rate. I start my seeds under a 4 ft old timey 2 bulb fluorescent light (80 watts) and the light keeps the plants warm.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 142
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you can't get a seed starting potting mix, just take what you have and sift the mix with a window screen. Fill the cells with your screened mix to the top, but "don't pack" the soil in the cells. Put one seed on top and sprinkle about 16th layer of soil on top of the seeds. Add 1000 ml of rain water to the bottom of the tray then gently top water with a turkey baster one time only. After everything is wet, put the dome on and wait until your seeds sprout in a few days. When you first see sprouts take the dome off quickly because it will kill the plants if you don't. Don't water for about 7 or 8 days, but after that use a turkey baster and top water each cell before transplanting into cups.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I have full trays of seedlings I move them in and out to maintain the best temps. Put them in the sun during the day and bring them in at night. They go out on cloudy days too as long as the temps are good. You would be surprised how much light a plant can get on a cloudy day. I have a light meter and have found seedlings get a lot of light on cloudy days. I hope that helps Rooster

SubbuPD

Subbu PD
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Singapore
Country
Singapore
As I outlined on a previous post, I've been forced to learn some hard lessons this year with petunias. all but 3 of 300 have died. I'm going to take what I've learned and try again with marigolds.

I started my Petunias in the basement, but if I can, I'd like to start the marigolds in the greenhouse unless the temperature is going to be a problem.

It's been getting in the low 40's lately. I think the real light would be better than the grow lights in the basement, but will the 72 degree basement be more helpful?

Please let me know what you think? ALL advice welcomed.

Thanks

Marigolds requires around 75 to 80. Plan accordingly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes Marigolds are Summer annuals and they like it warm to hot, from the beginning to the end.

Ask a Question