Herbs and vegetable seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I am new to this forum, just registered. I have been carefully planning the design and features of my garden for the last two years, I finally got the green light from my wife 2 months ago. So ordered a new Qube greenhouse (to be delivered this month), tree surgeon planned to remove two large trees and a full detailed plans of everything I would need to completely redesign my small back garden..... all now on hold due to the virus lock down....... so so disappointed, going to be a long spring / summer.
Anyway, itching to do something I thought I might grow some herbs and start to build my knowledge, supply base and hopefully develop some ideas from like minded people, hence I joined this forum.
So my first question is really around who is the best retailer (good quality, range and price) to purchase seeds - thinking herbs and other vegetables suitable for the UK climate. The retailer will need to supply via post... obviously, and as I live in the UK (Northern Ireland) , deliver to my home.

Many thanks
Stephen

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've used Marshalls, currently use Kings and Chiltern seeds. The first two are more fruit and veg, while Chiltern offer a bigger selection off flowers. There are a lot of others out there, Dobies, Suttons, DT Btown, Thompson and Morgan, Nicky' Nurserys. Quick search for names and you'll be off. Some can be a bit of a pest with emails frequently dropping into the Inbox..
Many also offer plug plants. All will supply mail order to NI.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, flower pot man!

Please don't rush! Do your research. I myself have bought from Premier Seeds - big pack of seeds, well packed and stay fresh for years. Just seeds is another one. Happy green ??? They can be found on ebay and the saving is enormous. I have found out that if you grow veg, try to look for a pest resistant one. I have 2 toms growing from seeds - one is covered with aphids and another one stand tall and proud, as if defying, aphids, what aphids? I have this year gone for a sweet Spanish onion, some AGM vegs which have been tested and proven reliable in most gardens.

Toms: go for Rosella - very sweet. I have also gone for organic seeds , some rocket (quick and pest free), spring onion seeds, Speedy salad leaves. It might be a good idea to go for something easy and fast when you're starting. dwarf runner beans rather than fluffling around.

Think about what you like to eat? What can store?
SAM_2980.JPG

Now I must do something about the cucumber!

Agree with NigelJ, Kings seeds and Chilterns are also good. Kings seeds are generous. Also check the number of seeds supplied. The well established suppliers offer usually 20 to 40 whilst Kings or Premier send you big packets, sometimes 500. You could start with potatoes + AGM to find out what reliable ones are available. I want to grow sweet big onion, so I googled sweet big white onion and there you can see names coming up.

Here
SAM_2982.JPG
SAM_2983.JPG

Don't worry about the end date. I had Asparagus seeds germinating after 8 years!

Last edited:

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some seeds keep well others don't. Parsnip fresh every year. I find lettuce and sweetcorn don't keep well, carrots, peas, beans fennel, beetroot keep pretty well. Brassicas last well as do leeks, tomatoes and pepper seed. Squashes, cucumber, etc last about 3 years. You might to sow slightly more thickly or start an extra couple of seeds as the seeds age.
You may well be too late for potatoes this year from mail order companies.
Poppy, marigold, tithonia, zinnia seed keep well, lobelia a couple of years. Perennial, bulb , shrubs and trees are more variable and you need to do some research. Some like hellebore, arum, angelica are far better sown fresh. Some even germinate better if sown before the seed is ripe daphne being one.

Ask a Question