Sourcing seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
I'm having a hard time finding seeds. I have a fair amount left over from last year that I will fall back on but there are some seeds I need fresh packets of. My usual haunts (Territorial, Burpee, West Coast Seeds, Adapative Seeds, etc) have all stopped taking orders. I haven't been to the store, because of quarantine, to look for seeds but I assume the seed racks are pretty empty.

Anyone else running into this? Ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You could put out a list of wants, maybe someone here has some surplus of what you need and would be willing to part with some of the extra. I saw that someone in MI on a reddit sub can’t get some seed that they wanted and can’t even legally buy it in a store in MI as seed for a garden is on the forbidden list, considered non-essential by the authorities in that jurisdiction. We plant so early in parts of the country like where I live. I had the extra watermelon seed, my watermelon being already up and growing, and I am mailing it to them today.

What could be more essential than growing food to eat? There’s been a huge run on seeds as people realize they’d like to be a little more self-reliant in that department, plus so many are home with a lot of time on their hands to fill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
You could put out a list of wants, maybe someone here has some surplus of what you need and would be willing to part with some of the extra. I saw that someone in MI on a reddit sub can’t get some seed that they wanted and can’t even legally buy it in a store in MI as seed for a garden is on the forbidden list, considered non-essential by the authorities in that jurisdiction. We plant so early in parts of the country like where I live. I had the extra watermelon seed, my watermelon being already up and growing, and I am mailing it to them today.

What could be more essential than growing food to eat? There’s been a huge run on seeds as people realize they’d like to be a little more self-reliant in that department, plus so many are home with a lot of time on their hands to fill.

I tend to agree. I usually get my seeds via mail order (plus some seed rack packets) so social distancing isn't an issue there. There has simply been a crush of demand on the seed vendors.

The farmer's markets may not happen this year so my ability to get cheap produce is going to be limited. I don't know what's going to happen with the u-pick farms. I was hoping to get more berries this year. It's not hard to maintain your distance in a large field but I don't know what the farms are going to do.

And something, probably slugs, ate the tops of my lingonberry plants I put in last year. All but one is dead and that guy is hanging on by a thread. I'm going to have to source replacements.

And I was planning on collecting wild berries this year. But lots of the state and federal parks/recreation areas are closed down.

To an extent I am just whining about not getting exactly what I want. I wanted some specific varieties of stuff like broccoli, zucchini, and other summer squash. That's probably not going to happen. I grew Emerald Delight zucchini last year and really liked it. I was going to grow it again but I'm probably stuck with Black Beauty.

On the plus side my blackberries and blackcaps are reaching maturity and I expect to get a decent crop this year. Probably another year or two for full production.

If I have a bunch of excess beyond what I can give to family and friends (I can just drop off care packages on their front porch) I will donate it to food banks. The need is pretty intense right now.

Ask a Question