Are any fruit trees easier than others to grow from seed?

Reaction score
It's HOT and dry. o_O I live in Arizona. I haven't been able to get pumpkins or watermelons to take. Cantaloupe does well though, as does squash. Hmm... I wonder why squash would grow and pumpkins wouldn't. :/ Now I'm curious. I'll have to try those again too. Thanks! :) (Side note, I'm still thinking about pumpkins vs squash. I bet it's because I tried to grow the squash in cooler months while I tried to have the pumpkins ready for Halloween instead...)

Hot and dry is absolutely ideal for all three - especially as they all love warm soil and at least 3 -4 months of very hot weather and are in fact known to grow faster and bigger the hotter the climate they are grown in - which I have to say is actually very true - as I too live in a climate very similar to yours and apart from the occasional watermelon explosion - when temperatures are hovering around the 120 Fahrenheit mark - very successfully grow all three :D

Which is why I'm thinking that as cantaloupes and squash do well where you live and watermelons and pumpkins thrive in exactly the same conditions as they do - it would certainly be worth considering having another go - particularly as I feel more than sure than your kids would thoroughly enjoy growing their own watermelons or pumpkins as both are seriously HUGE and particularly the pumpkins - which of course they could proudly show off at Halloween time .

Although the best time to plant pumpkins in order for them to be ready for Halloween is normally around June - think you would still be in luck if you tried planting them now - especially as I've planted them even later than this and still landed up with a plentiful supply for Halloween time :)

Reaction score
Growing trees takes ages! I remember planting a seed a long, long time ago. It barely even grew! But i do have a peach tree in my backyard :D Every summer, I get to pick the peaches off. I'm usually able to get a box full of peaches. But i think if I were to plant a fruit tree, I'd try to get a baby tree rather than plant it with a seed. Seeds just take too much time.

Ask a Question