Are all Geraniums worth keeping?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have this kind of geranium that is growing that presently doesn't seem to be much as far as a flower.
It just started to grow this year. I am in the Seattle area. Sorry I don't have a picture, just a few general
questions.

I realize they are perennials, and therefore maybe need to establish before they get big enough to flower,
or at least for the flowers to be interesting. Is this correct?

Are there other plants that have geranium type leaves? Are all geraniums worth keeping?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I only keep hardy geraniums. Not all geraniums are perennials. So not sure what your talking about. I only like hardy geraniums, others I do not bother with at all as they are annuals.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My favorite geranium is Geranium maculatum. In fact, it's the only geranium I grow. Perennial, and native to the US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had to google maculatum geranium ;)... but yes, in my zone those are perennials and I have a little patch of them. Many of the more showy geraniums will not survive cold winters or frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
little patch, LOL. @Beth_B I have a ton of them. actually gave away buckets of them this spring to thin them down. Now, still more to thin, looking at a couple areas to move more to this fall. What I love about them, is very dense ground cover, no weeds come up under them at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
To my knowledge there are no annual Geraniums. there are a few biiennial weedy ones, but mostly they are very hardy perennials. Possibly tender ones are G maderense and another from the same part of the world (name escapes me at present).
Pelargoniums (mis-called Geraniums since the 1700's) are tender perennials.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
To be honest, people really didn't answer my questions fully.

Well, I guess you're right. But as the responses suggest, flowering may well depend on the type of geranium you have and there are many types, so without a photo or better ID it's hard to say. Also you didn't say where it's planted, what conditions etc.

My little wild geraniums flower throughout the season starting when they're just a couple of inches tall. Back when I lived in a warmer climate, potted-type geraniums would have blooms pretty much constantly and I could break off a little branch, stick it in dirt and it would grow fast.

Plenty of other plants with rounded leaves, yes.

Worth keeping? I guess that depends on what you expect from the plant. :) Limited space and a plant that won't flower when what you want is flowers? Maybe not. Something growing along the edge of your yard? Sure, wait and see if it will bloom eventually.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The video is of Pelargoniums not Geraniums. Pelargoniums are southern hemisphere plats South Africa is a major centre for them, they are also more tender then Geraniums.. Geraniums are Northern hemisphere plants and are generally hardy (at least in the UK).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Nigel. This is a Geranium....

Geranium (1).JPG

Ask a Question