Geraniums

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced issues when trying to propagate geraniums? I'm talking about the annual ones, of course! For some reason I'm not always succesful when I try to propagate geraniums. Sometimes the clippings just rot away..., but sometimes they are succesful :) I'd like to know why some of them rot, could it be something wrong with the clipping itself or maybe I did something wrong?

Reaction score
They suffer from rot if the soil they are in is too damp. I usually take at least 4 cuttings if I want 1 plant, and put them near the edges of a pot an even distance apart. Keep them out of full sun, and water from the bottom, if you can, and let the soil get dry to the touch between waterings. This works well for me.

Jed

Reaction score
A bit of a guess but it could be a soil borne fungal disease. It is essential to take cuttings from healthy plants and air dry the wound for a day then plant them in a good potting mix and not soil.Don't over water but keep moist. Ensure your pots have been sanitised in bleach or use new ones.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your useful advices :)

Jed: I was actually thinking that could be the reason I'm sometimes succesful when I try to get new geraniums! I neverr have felt so comfortable using bleach, but I guess I'll have to give it a try. I think I should also check about the soil!

TheCrazyPlantLady: My method to propagate them is very similar :) I was just wondering why my method didn't work sometimes even tho I did everything right.

Ask a Question