Application for gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all,
This year I grew a vegetable garden for the first time and I was overwhelmed with the amount of tomatoes, peppers and all kind of vegetables I grew.
In my daily life I'm a software engineer and would love to build a web application and an app to make gardening easier. Like keeping track of which seed I planted at which location, being able to make notes about a plant, keeping track of how long it took before my produce was ready (and how much).
It's something I really missed while growing my garden, and since I hope (when I'm a little more experienced in gardening) to sell produce on a farmers market, I would like to plan and predict when produce is ready.

I was wondering how people who grow vegetable keep track of this kind of stuff? I haven't found any software or application yet that isn't crazy expensive for small gardens and has all these features.

I'm hoping to build the app this fall and have it ready before the next growing season. But since just building it for myself would be a really big time investment for just a small garden, I was wondering whether anyone here would love to be able to have an application like this (and what kind of features you would like to see).

Even keeping track of the weather forecast to predict whether your plants need water today, and somehow connecting it with a watering system would be a cool feature.

I'm just in the ideas phase, so any input is welcome :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do on paper what you want to do with a computer. No matter what you do, something (usually weather) always pops up to change everything. In all my years of vegetable gardening I have had, at the most, 3 or 4 years where everything went right. About all I can do is get a rough guesstimate as to when a particular vegetable will be ready, usually within 10 days to 2 weeks.

Ask a Question