Apple tree problem

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is a apple tree that was on the property when I bought it. It is big and mature. Previous owner told me it produces Apple's every year. Last summer it was full of been leaves but no blooms, it didn't finally get 2 Apple's that I saw very high up. I don't exactly know how many Apple's it has total I suspect the deer might have gotten some. Most of the year it looks dead, but when we moved in the house in April the branches were touching the ground.
So in hopes of keeping it around this winter I started to prune it back, mostly just the branches that did not have any leaves and looked obviously dead. I read somewhere to prune slowly and in stages so I don't shock the tree.
Ii also noticed these horizontal line of holes all up and down the tree, after a little research on guessing it is from woodpeckers? Is this what will finally kill the tree? I would love to see it produce Apple's again but just keeping it alive and green would be great too. Is there anything else I should do this spring, summer or fall?
Thanks
0318171635b.jpg
0318171635c.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The damage is from Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers. It is possible your tree is on its last gasp. Scrape of the bark on a limb. If it is brown underneath the bark that part of the tree is dead. It should be a light green color.

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the info Chuck, I'm pretty sure the tree is a goner, there's no telling how long the woodpeckers have been getting at it. The jokes are not in just one spot, the whole tree is covered in them. I will scrape a couple of sections to see if it is green anywhere.
Thanks again

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just a quick update on a previous thread, back in March I posted a picture of my mature Apple tree that I was pretty sure was dead. Well for the while month of May this tree was covered in big white blooms. As a matter a fact it looks awesome even now, the foilage is Just as green as ever. I am sceptical that it will ever have fruit again but I am so proud of the fact that it looks so good now. I pruned this tree back ALOT earlier this spring and have now planted two more smaller Apple trees near it. Here's hoping it will continue to thrive. I'll post pictures tomorrow, YOU GUYS WONT BELIEVE THIS TURN AROUND.

Ask a Question