Problem with Fuji Apple Tree - Dry Leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hi,

About 1 month ago I planted a Fuji Apple tree and a Santa Rosa Plum tree in my front yard. The plum tree looks fine but the apple tree now has many leaves that look like they are drying out. They are getting the same amount of water, about 5 minutes each twice a week. I attached some photos. Do any of you know what the cause might be and what a possible remedy is?

Thank you.

Plum Tree
Plum Tree - June 2016.jpg
Apple Tree
Apple Tree - June 2016.jpg
Apple Tree Leaves
Apple Tree Dry Leaf 1.jpg

Apple Tree Dry Leaf 2.jpg

Apple Tree Dry Leaf 3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are watering incorrectly. Having a hose on full blast for 10 minutes a week is not the way to water. You want to water SLOWLY AND DEEPLY. You want the water to reach the roots and their surrounding soil. You don't want water runoff. Have the water run at a very slow trickle or drip. Water until the soil is saturated, probably 2 or 3 hours. It also appears from the pictures that the trees are planted too deep. I can't see the tops of any roots. Also you would be much better off if you were to heavily mulch around the base of your trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I thought I was watering slowly. The water is not running wide open for sure but I can certainly slow it down a lot. The drainage is not real good in the soil so I will have to be careful with the flow rate if I leave it on for 2 or 3 hours but I will give it a try.

The trees came in pots with soil and I did not add any past the top when I planted them. Should I make an adjustment? How would I go about that? Would I simply remove some of the soil near the trunk?

I am planning to add about 2 inches of mulch around the trees to about a 3 foot radius from the trunk leaving about 6 inches clear from the trunks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I thought I was watering slowly. The water is not running wide open for sure but I can certainly slow it down a lot. The drainage is not real good in the soil so I will have to be careful with the flow rate if I leave it on for 2 or 3 hours but I will give it a try.

The trees came in pots with soil and I did not add any past the top when I planted them. Should I make an adjustment? How would I go about that? Would I simply remove some of the soil near the trunk?

I am planning to add about 2 inches of mulch around the trees to about a 3 foot radius from the trunk leaving about 6 inches clear from the trunks.
You want your water to go deep. When you water deeply the roots of the tree will grow deep too. Not knowing your soil it is impossible to say how long to water except to water how ever long it takes to saturate the soil deeply
Google root flare. There are many videos and pictures of how to properly plant a tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Chuck,

Thanks again for your input. Today I watered very slowly, as you suggested. I don't know how much the total water output is compared what I was doing but is not flowing out to the road so at least all the water is going into the soil (it was before as well). I will water this way from now on and hope the tree improves.

I will search on Google and YouTube for information about the correct planting method. I hope I can correct my planting error without further stressing the trees.

Peter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
After watching some videos on YouTube and reading here and there on the internet I decided to look for the root crown on my trees. I carefully removed soil from the tree trunk until I found the crown. Both trees were planted low. The plum tree more so than the apple tree. I found the soil around the apple tree very dry despite having watered only twp days ago. The soil around the plum tree was moist but did have some dry areas.

Once I found the root crowns I made a flat area about 2 feet in diameter around the trees to pool water when watering so it can soak in near the roots. I will keep the water level below the root crown while watering and add
water after it soaks in since it does not drain very quickly.

Plum Tree - Soil Removed.jpg Apple Tree - Soil Removed.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds like you have lots of clay in your soil, if thats what you have I would add a little compost to it and dig it in to help drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Also, it never hurts to leave a "cup" around your new trees to hold water so a slow soak will stay contained.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Sounds like you have lots of clay in your soil, if thats what you have I would add a little compost to it and dig it in to help drainage.

Yes, my soil is clay. I probably should have done something to help it drain before planting the trees but I did not realize it was necessary at the time. I plan to add some compost to the soil and do what I can to work it in without injuring the tree's roots.

Also, it never hurts to leave a "cup" around your new trees to hold water so a slow soak will stay contained.

This is basically what I did a few days ago. Now I can fill it and let it soak in rather than having the water run off if I water it enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
A little follow up on my tree problem. The trees looks like they are improving. They are both starting to grow new leaves. Hopefully this means they are getting enough water. I added mulch to both of the trees as you suggested.

Thank you for all your input and help.

Plum Tree - New Growth 1 - 5 July 16.jpg Plum Tree - Mulch - 5 July 16.jpg Apple Tree - New Growth 2 - 5 July 2016.jpg Apple Tree - Mulch - 5 July 2016.jpg

Ash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fuji apple trees are vigorous. It's good you caught it in time, so the tree should recover just fine. It should be more resilient this year since the roots should have grown,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes, I think I caught it in time. Both trees are doing well. The plum tree produced fruit this year which surprised me. The apple tree has not flower yet and it is getting late in the season so I suspect it won't produce any fruit this year.

Plum Tree - June 2017.jpg

Apple Tree - June 2017.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The comparison between the first pictures you posted of the trees and these pictures are amazing don't you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Yes, it is quite amazing. I had not really noticed the striking amount of growth until comparing the photos. The day-to-day growth is slow enough I do not realize the change.

The plums taste amazing by the way. I am excited to taste the apples when they come in.

Ask a Question