Apartment Living and Growing grass

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We also buy banana in the market. That more than 150 bananas in one fruiting is just a lot and we cannot eat all of it so we had to give more than half of it to friends, relatives, and neighbors. Here is the photo of that banana about 2 months before harvesting. Take note of the heart (that's what we call the red part).View attachment 7933
That banana tree is incredible. The heart is incredible. Does it contain seeds or nutrients for the fruit or hold moisture. I'm trying to think of what else it's role could be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@claudine and @DeborahJane thank you for your interest. The red part is called Puso (literal translation is heart). That puso is eaten as a vegetable. It is sliced and boiled. It can be mixed in fish soup dish and also in a beef dish called kare-kare. The puso contains young banana that wouldn't mature anymore. Here is the photo of our harvested banana -
IMG_2044 saging harvest.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'd rather go with the real ones. The feeling that you are part with nature as you tend your tiny plants and watch it blossom into a beautiful flower is incomparable with the fake ones which you could just leave there in the corner. What I mean here is there is no real connection established between the owner and the objects. Real plants are also in no doubt - stress reliever

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen yards that have fake plants instead of real plants and it looks out of place. I have real plants only, the purpose of have a plant is to have something to care for, what kind of care can I give a fake plant other than to dust it off once in awhile. The banana tree is awesome. This is the first banana tree I have ever seen.

Reaction score
We grow Musa Basjoo, the hardiest of the Banana family,

Obviously it takes a very hot summer in the UK to flower.

basjnov2014.jpg

This one is taller now with loads of pups off it last year which are growing well in the garden.

It can be too wet and cold where I am for fruit of it.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I don't like fakes but in your friends' shoes would do the same. Her love for nature must have led her that way,I guess. Fake it if you can't have it?

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Get some green paint and paint the patio floor green so it looks like grass, then buy some framed pictures of flowers to put up all around your patio. You will be all set :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Get some green paint and paint the patio floor green so it looks like grass, then buy some framed pictures of flowers to put up all around your patio. You will be all set :)
I really like the idea of painting your patio to look like grass. I used to live on a 2nd floor apartment and would get depressed that I could not just venture outside and walk in the grass when I wanted to. There was grass on the property, but not immediately around my home so I would have to venture out into the courtyard to frolick in it. Now I have grass in the yard and it is nice to be able to plant things among it.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Rosyrain, I was trying to be a bit humorous... :) green paint and pictures of flowers don't really match up to the real deal.

You can grow grass in containers. You can grow it in wooden boxes or in an old style tub. You can lay out large flat stones in places and grow moss on them. There is a lot that you can do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
You know I really like all these real banana trees and cut fruit in these posts. I know sometimes lack of space in an apartment can really restrict what we would really love to do with natural plants. I would definitely go as natural as I possibly could though, instead of using fake plants. If birds are going to build their nest that's a bonus. Fake plants in your zone will probably have some negative effect on you (I'm assuming). Real plants and flowers say so many nicer things about who you are too:whistle::cautious:.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
That is so true, I have always found that fake plants are unlucky and that is the case in our home because we have had a spout of bad luck, even the birds had bad luck because the monkeys came to eat their eggs in the fake tree! I think go for real and alive because there is nothing more beautiful than that!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fake grass has no place in an apartment or large open garden. It just somehow messes things up when their supposed role is to keep things clean. You want a garden to attract natures wild things. Bugs digging around and helping plants to pollinate. Bees collecting raw material for honey making. Birds just hanging out or eating some of these same bugs as part of the cycle. Fake grass takes all this away.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
it does but if you cannot have an apartment that can do grass then the fake stuff is a good idea as it at least gives you the sense that nature is near I prefer the real stuff but sometimes living in the sky is not possible

Ask a Question