Anyone have a special flower, tree, or bush that brings back childhood memories?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
https://img1.etsystatic.com/007/0/7227043/il_fullxfull.395691405_nd6f.jpg

Bleeding hearts, reminds me of that carefree time of childhood visiting Grandparents dairy farm.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Camellia_japonica_flower_buds.jpg

Camellias not common in Wisconsin, Neighbor had a hedge of them between our place and theirs...........and I picked off all the little green balls to play with them. Don't think I sat down for a week after that one was found out. Even though common here in the south I still do not like them even a little.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have a few hellebores and pieris. but as far as snowdrops---lets see how about 1,000. of them---plus.

Oh, please, take some pics. Look at @La Garden 's bleeding heart! My heart's aching and bleeding to see such a beautiful encapsulation of raindrops! Life's simple, simple pleasure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Oh, please, take some pics. Look at @La Garden 's bleeding heart! My heart's aching and bleeding to see such a beautiful encapsulation of raindrops! Life's simple, simple pleasure!
If you do a search on this forum, Esther's Garden, the pix have been there over the years. also You tube movies. It is estimated that total I have 100 Thousand bulbs of various types, coming up from extremely early to as late as can be found.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My grandmother came from the Netherlands as a teenager and brought her green thumb with her. She was awesome in the vegetable garden but her real gift was Hollyhocks. She was locally famous for her plants. The kitchen table was always adorned with cuttings. Somewhere I must have lost the gene that enabled her to grow them. I am waiting to see if any of the seeds I planted last year will sprout. I am not optimistic since failure is the name of the game with these wonderful flowers.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My grandmother came from the Netherlands as a teenager and brought her green thumb with her. She was awesome in the vegetable garden but her real gift was Hollyhocks. She was locally famous for her plants. The kitchen table was always adorned with cuttings. Somewhere I must have lost the gene that enabled her to grow them. I am waiting to see if any of the seeds I planted last year will sprout. I am not optimistic since failure is the name of the game with these wonderful flowers.

Hollyhock is easy peasy! You will find out and when they seed where you don't want them, you will be calling it a weed. I am scared of them, but seeing them in other people's houses, I would also be surprised how pretty they can be, especially they have displayed now all sorts of colours and even a bit iridescence!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hollyhock, have grown them off and on over the years, as putting in for a different look now and then, mine don't come back easy ever. Years ago we traveled to Montichello (spelling??) the mansion where Thomas Jefferson lived, anyway, he grew black ones, actually they are dark dark red, picked up a couple packs and planted them, had them that year. Kinda neat they were.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
My dad had a border of blue lupins. When i was 10 years old i grew snapdragons, pot marigolds and cosmos. Still do today and lupins. Also had a go at growing veg, my dad dug the ground over and i planted the seeds, the best were sprouts. Can't remember having trouble with slugs and snails or catapillers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
First time I smelled a lilac. Also hearing that my mom liked flowers and not knowing any better I went and pulled up my neighbors tulips and gave em to my mom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
Australia
Jasmine is a favourite for bringing back childhood memories. My birthday falls at the start of Spring ( Sep) and so would school holidays so it was always a great time of year ( Im not a winter person and always glad to see the back of it)
Mum would always pick strands of Jasmine and hang them over the toilet cistern as an indoor perfume ( and I do the same and anywhere else in the house, even in the front of my ute)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
When I was a child we stayed many summers on the Connecticut shoreline (salt water). Always remembered the thorny plant with pink flowers and colorful seedpods but never knew what it was called until a few years ago. Rugosa Rose used to control sand erosion ( even though they like to call it invasive). Managed to find one late in fall at a nursery down near the shore and bought it for our inland home. They are much more available now in places (largely hybrids)

Ask a Question