Anyone have a special flower, tree, or bush that brings back childhood memories?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have two that bring a smile to my face!

Was reading about @Cereus trading some bulbs and tubers for a lilac cutting and it reminded me of my kindergarten days. Yes, a long time ago. I would take a wet paper towel in preparation, and on my walk to school, I would stop at various neighbors houses and pick flowers for my teacher! Yes, I was a bit rambunctious, and yes I knew all the neighbors! lol My favorite spots were when the lilac was in bloom and the neighbors who planted the orange and yellow marigolds!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Calla lilies remind me of my country, and a bit to my father :) The syngonium podophyllum reminds me of my grandmother, she had so many of those in her house, she still cared for them even after depression stroke her (once she got a cancer diagnosis). Purple hearts will always remind me of my childhood, most of the plants of that same family will, because those were the first ones I started planting..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bougainvillea has to be one that reminding me of my childhood. Now, that I live in a colder climate, I miss see them. In my local conservatory, they had one that I admire and usually just love to sit under the big tree and look at the flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Snap dragons! :D Antirrhinums if you want to give them their proper name ;) My parents probably didn't think my enjoyment was so good though, given that I used to pull them all off to play with :D

tumblr_n9r66nxraj1s59yrco1_400.gif

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Sweet Peas...... they are so beautiful and smell so good. My Dad grew them like crazy and we always had some in the house and always had some to give away in season. Way back in the day when my sister was going to get married it was decided that the flowers would be sweet peas and he would grow them, talk about pressure, it did all work out nicely. Every year I try my hand with them and have had some luck, other years not so much. I wish I would have learned his tricks back when I had the chance. Coincidentally I used Sweet Peas for a "My Favorite Plant" assignment in my OH class this semester. Here are a few pictures of some sweet peas I have grown.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sweet Peas...... they are so beautiful and smell so good. My Dad grew them like crazy and we always had some in the house and always had some to give away in season. Way back in the day when my sister was going to get married it was decided that the flowers would be sweet peas and he would grow them, talk about pressure, it did all work out nicely. Every year I try my hand with them and have had some luck, other years not so much. I wish I would have learned his tricks back when I had the chance. Coincidentally I used Sweet Peas for a "My Favorite Plant" assignment in my OH class this semester. Here are a few pictures of some sweet peas I have grown.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Greenhorn your Sweetpeas are gorgeous, but that third pic of the string trellis really caught my attention. I love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Snap dragons! :D Antirrhinums if you want to give them their proper name ;) My parents probably didn't think my enjoyment was so good though, given that I used to pull them all off to play with :D

tumblr_n9r66nxraj1s59yrco1_400.gif
I too used to make them talk! and my grandaughter looked at me as though i had a few screws loose when i showed this little game to her...

Your avatar reminds me of when I went to see breakfast at tiffanys at the theater when they screened it again at the movie theater a few years ago.

a large number of young ladies came to watch and they all had on little black dresses, tiaras, their hair pushed up. Just too much fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There are many plants that remind me of my childhood. When I was a kid, we had a really big lilac bush in our garden, I loved it very much! Laburnum always makes me think about my aunt and my grandfather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
There are several but the four o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa) flowers stand out. They used to bloom in the neighbour's garden. Just around the time mother would visit them for a chat practically on a daily basis. We kids would slowly follow her and play in the compound. The flowers would slowly spread their aroma and permeate the atmosphere. These flowers come in several colours and shades. .

Image source http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Four_O'clock_flower.jpg

Four_O'clock_flower.jpg

zigs

Naughty Cactus Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Speedwells, remember when I was about 4, being low down the football pitch seemed to have a blue haze of their flowers.

And I used to use the roseatte of their leaves as pretend cabbages to take to market in the back of my Corgi Landrover.

Still got the toy car :)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There are several but the four o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa) flowers stand out. They used to bloom in the neighbour's garden. Just around the time mother would visit them for a chat practically on a daily basis. We kids would slowly follow her and play in the compound. The flowers would slowly spread their aroma and permeate the atmosphere. These flowers come in several colours and shades. .

Image source http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Four_O'clock_flower.jpg

View attachment 5355
It's a truly gorgeous plant!:)
I remember flowers that looked very much alike, but they were pale purple. My aunt was growing them in her garden. When I was a kid, I used them to make miniature hats for my dolls;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I love 4 O'Clock's too. I planted some once in a flower bed and they are prolific self seeders so each year they come back on their own. A bunch popped up this year as a result of false spring and then got hit by a light frost, but more have started to sprout. The seeds do put me in mind of sweet pea seeds. I didn't know they smelled good till the second year I had them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
When I passed by this house which was a bit higher than the main road and saw this

clem2.jpg

It has a slight perfume and I sniffed and sniffed (very dangerous, could be something dangerous, LOL!) and loved the faint scent. The bell shaped and colour, simple as they were, mesmerised me. Sadly, the experience has never been repeated after that year. Every time I passed by that house, I looked and looked, but sadly, no more ...

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
A wild white rose for me. These roses very rarely someone can plant in the garden. They bloom once a year with fragrant flowers. But they form dense thickets.
When I was 6, my parents worked, and I lived with my grandmother in a country house. This rose grew near the railway, far from us. I was so fascinated by her! But my grandmother could not go there with me often. I went alone (when my grandmother did not see).

Grandma's big dog always came with me. But when we left the village, other dogs joined us. And I always walked in the center of a pack of dogs. Of course, the neighbors saw this.
Local old woman baptized foreheads and predicted that the dog will tear me. They complained to my grandmother, and she scolded me. But I ran away again. Then grandmother took a shovel and planted a bush near our home for me.

Then my parents bought a house and the rose went with us.
Now I have my country house. And the descendant of this rose grows in my yard. :) Memory of my childhood and grandmother.

14195-2ba11ab26e75d5c44debac5afd18709c.jpg
14194-53838206495105c3732f8dfe2de437c1.jpg

Ask a Question