Anyone have a special flower, tree, or bush that brings back childhood memories?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have two that bring a smile to my face!

Was reading about @Cereus trading some bulbs and tubers for a lilac cutting and it reminded me of my kindergarten days. Yes, a long time ago. I would take a wet paper towel in preparation, and on my walk to school, I would stop at various neighbors houses and pick flowers for my teacher! Yes, I was a bit rambunctious, and yes I knew all the neighbors! lol My favorite spots were when the lilac was in bloom and the neighbors who planted the orange and yellow marigolds!

Reaction score
Calla lilies remind me of my country, and a bit to my father :) The syngonium podophyllum reminds me of my grandmother, she had so many of those in her house, she still cared for them even after depression stroke her (once she got a cancer diagnosis). Purple hearts will always remind me of my childhood, most of the plants of that same family will, because those were the first ones I started planting..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bougainvillea has to be one that reminding me of my childhood. Now, that I live in a colder climate, I miss see them. In my local conservatory, they had one that I admire and usually just love to sit under the big tree and look at the flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Snap dragons! :D Antirrhinums if you want to give them their proper name ;) My parents probably didn't think my enjoyment was so good though, given that I used to pull them all off to play with :D

tumblr_n9r66nxraj1s59yrco1_400.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Sweet Peas...... they are so beautiful and smell so good. My Dad grew them like crazy and we always had some in the house and always had some to give away in season. Way back in the day when my sister was going to get married it was decided that the flowers would be sweet peas and he would grow them, talk about pressure, it did all work out nicely. Every year I try my hand with them and have had some luck, other years not so much. I wish I would have learned his tricks back when I had the chance. Coincidentally I used Sweet Peas for a "My Favorite Plant" assignment in my OH class this semester. Here are a few pictures of some sweet peas I have grown.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sweet Peas...... they are so beautiful and smell so good. My Dad grew them like crazy and we always had some in the house and always had some to give away in season. Way back in the day when my sister was going to get married it was decided that the flowers would be sweet peas and he would grow them, talk about pressure, it did all work out nicely. Every year I try my hand with them and have had some luck, other years not so much. I wish I would have learned his tricks back when I had the chance. Coincidentally I used Sweet Peas for a "My Favorite Plant" assignment in my OH class this semester. Here are a few pictures of some sweet peas I have grown.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Greenhorn your Sweetpeas are gorgeous, but that third pic of the string trellis really caught my attention. I love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Snap dragons! :D Antirrhinums if you want to give them their proper name ;) My parents probably didn't think my enjoyment was so good though, given that I used to pull them all off to play with :D

tumblr_n9r66nxraj1s59yrco1_400.gif
I too used to make them talk! and my grandaughter looked at me as though i had a few screws loose when i showed this little game to her...

Your avatar reminds me of when I went to see breakfast at tiffanys at the theater when they screened it again at the movie theater a few years ago.

a large number of young ladies came to watch and they all had on little black dresses, tiaras, their hair pushed up. Just too much fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There are many plants that remind me of my childhood. When I was a kid, we had a really big lilac bush in our garden, I loved it very much! Laburnum always makes me think about my aunt and my grandfather.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
There are several but the four o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa) flowers stand out. They used to bloom in the neighbour's garden. Just around the time mother would visit them for a chat practically on a daily basis. We kids would slowly follow her and play in the compound. The flowers would slowly spread their aroma and permeate the atmosphere. These flowers come in several colours and shades. .

Image source http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Four_O'clock_flower.jpg

Four_O'clock_flower.jpg

Ask a Question