Any help on growing indoor spices bought at store?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

Thanks for adding me :)

I bought some live spices at the store and thought I'd give this a shot.

Here are the spices bought;

Here is my first attempt;

I'm thinking of getting rid of the first attempt. They were started from seeds and are really quite stringy. The store bought ones look better and I think I got a chance at getting this established.

Yes I know the chances of having organic spices are pretty slim and they are probably raised "factory", I just want to get these going as they are. Any tips how to best transferring these new ones? I'm basically a complete noobe on this, so just about everything would be new to me. I am pretty good at following directions (y)

Allan,

PS: sorry if I didn't do something right on my first post here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello all,

Thanks for adding me :)

I bought some live spices at the store and thought I'd give this a shot.

Here are the spices bought;

View attachment 53929

Here is my first attempt;
View attachment 53930

I'm thinking of getting rid of the first attempt. They were started from seeds and are really quite stringy. The store bought ones look better and I think I got a chance at getting this established.

Yes I know the chances of having organic spices are pretty slim and they are probably raised "factory", I just want to get these going as they are. Any tips how to best transferring these new ones? I'm basically a complete noobe on this, so just about everything would be new to me. I am pretty good at following directions (y)

Allan,

PS: sorry if I didn't do something right on my first post here.
No matter what they are or where they came from they will ALL be stringy, leggy because they do not have enough light. They need a lot more sunlight than they are getting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Allan A
Growing herbs is definitely achievable and we have lots growing here. I'm not certain, but think it possible that those plants you buy in supermarkets might have a growth inhibitor on them, which could be a problem for you. If you now have them potted up in good compost, or indeed outside in the garden, and keep them watered and partly shaded they may do well for you. I'm not so sure a sunny window is quite the right place for them though.
If you have a plant nursery nearby, you might do better getting some small starter plants from them.
Thyme, Chives, and Rosemary (a small shrub) are all quite tough and should continue to grow for some years. Basil however is just an annual plant, and one I have always found to be quite temperamental.

As an afterthought, you can take cuttings from Rosemary and Thyme :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks to all for your input. It's very much appreciated. I do like the pots for growing the spices. I think what I'm going to do is grow them outside and get them established. Then bring it indoors to harvest. After that.........maybe back out to reestablish?

On the store bought stuff - soak the roots in water for 2-3 days then get them planted outside, or just start from zero?

My apologies for being clueless.

Ask a Question