Annual into Perennial

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This may seem like a silly question but is there anyway to turn an annual into a perenial by bringing it inside and planting it again in the Spring or putting it out again in the Spring. I know they used to say with poinsetta's if you kept them in a cool dark place for a year, they wold rebloom again next year, although I never tried it. I would think my flower plant would stay alive inside and bloom again in the Spring..thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've done in the past with my potted annuals. I've brought in impatiens, petunias, begonias, and geraniums. I kept some of these plants alive for several seasons. This past winter I had brought in a potted habanero pepper which is now in my garden and covered with fruit. Some plants, such as the impatiens that do not need as much sun, do better than others. I am disabled and rely on other people to help me care for the plants, so they don't get proper care. My guess is that most people can stay on top of watering and will find them fairly easy to care for.

Thanks,
DiMart

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, I think I will bring it in. There are no blooms on it at the moment, but I would like to keep it inside for the winter. I may move as well, and will take it with me, when I go, if I do. If I can do this, it would be a new thing, and one that I would like to do, just for fun. It would be exciting to be able to have blooms from it in the Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
For years my friend Mary Ellen's father has planted numerous superb geraniums in his yard.
Each year he takes them in for the winter. Each late spring he plants them outside.
I asked him if he still winters the geraniums. He said No. He quit doing that.
The newer hybrids of geraniums do not winter well. He buys new geraniums each year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on what the plant type is. If it is a tender perennial then it may be overwintered. If it is a true annual then once it has flowered and set seed it will die.

Ask a Question